Windows Server Forum

Yeah, I would like a server section, cos to get serious I use em at work and would really like advice on server like things, ranging from setting the servers up (ie openmanage 4.4 is required if you wanna use windows 2003 sp1) to ris servers (something I intend to play with quite soon)

I'll come up with some concepts of a restructure, but frankly this weather is draining me... when I got up it was hot, then there were two or three thunderstorms now its hot again. Bleh.

Sounds good matey ;)
It really does need a good look at, did have a quick glance and a restructure of parent forum 1 wouldn't affect the others at all.

The server section could be huge, as it could encompass server based hardware etc. too. This morning I was messing around with a tape drive, trying to flash the library, rmu, drives and getting BEA to recognise it all, while at the same time have Dell managers rushing around for me, my boss wasn't happy with a bit of kit they gave us and I felt obliged to pass his anger along :D

I think the sections are fine.

I think as more and more users switch to Windows x64 that section will grow. While you are at it you should add a Windows Longhorn section.

Maybe you should consider breaking it down further.

Windows Longhorn
Windows XP
Windows XP x64
Windows Server 2003 (and x64)
Windows 2000 Professional/Server
Windows NT
Windows 95/98/98SE/ME

Customizing Windows (Themes is a bad word these days)
Windows Tips, Tricks, and Tweaks
Windows Applications
Windows Security
Windows Networking
Windows Driving
Windows General/Misc.

That's what I think.

Just dont change the name of "Creative Development" that is my only fingerprint on this site :D

**incase no one knows what im talking about, it was I in the IRC channel that came up with that name :p

I'm taking a Server 2003 Training class right now (free! woohoo!) and I'll tell you that it's really great! I think a forum for Server '03 would be awesome!

Madmatt: The more you crowd the forum, the more i will feel bewildered and feel ripped apart. It just makes it feel crowded.

Also, remember not all of us have a lot of screen estate. If i had a 30" cinema display from apple i would not be complaining, as then i could see the entire site from top to bottom without scrolling.

If you really want to increase userbase, you need to include other OS's more prominently. That includes Sun, AIX, Linux, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, SCO OpenUnix. Trouble is getting people in those forums because the forums already feels like it is windows only. Mac and Linux are listed under "Alternate Operating Systems" making it sound like they are lesser beings. They could just as well be under Technical Support.

Windows Longhorn
-- Okay, for what? Not like anyone will have problems with it yet. It is not released yet.
Windows XP
-- The mainstream windows at the moment.
Windows XP x64
-- For x64 users, okay could work. But would fit perfectly with the above one.
Windows Server 2003 (and x64)
-- Rename to Windows Server Editions and you are set
Windows 2000 Professional/Server
-- Add this to the above. Most tricks and tips apply to both
Windows NT
-- Not many people here run Windows NT.
Windows 95/98/98SE/ME
-- Should be put together with Windows NT. But this is one i can agree on.

Customizing Windows (Themes is a bad word these days)
-- What version of Windows? Could be put under the specific version in question
Windows Tips, Tricks, and Tweaks
-- What version of Windows? Tips or tricks can be put under the specifc version in question
Windows Applications
-- This i can agree with
Windows Security
-- What version? Different versions are secured differently. Could see it being useful
Windows Networking
-- Goes under the appropriate section.
Windows Driving
-- I hope you mean Windows Drivers. Could be okay. But once again, different versions
Windows General/Misc.
-- This makes sense.

For me:

Technical Support

Windows Server
Windows XP
Windows 3.1/95/98/98SE/ME and NT
Windows General
Windows Applications
Windows Networking
Windows Security
Apple Mac OS
*BSD, Linux and Unix derived OS'

This removes on section heading.

And while we are on the topic of bringing in more users, why not add sections for CCNA's, and all the other Computer certs out there.

I'm working on a 13.3" widescreen display when I am at home.

I respect your opinion, however, I think being more specific is not a bad thing. I could have gone to town breaking up customizing, applications, etc.

I'm just offering my two cents, some times I have good ideas.

NetRyder said:
I have an idea, but I'm at work right now. Will post again later this evening with what I think.
Just realized I never got around to doing this. Sorry about that.
Anyway, if you ask me, I think this would work nicely:

Notice Board:
- Important Announcements
- OSNN Upgrades

Windows Discussion and Support:
- Windows "Longhorn" Beta (turn this on sometime down the line...not yet)
- Windows XP/2000
- Windows x64
- Windows Server
- Windows 9x/ME
- Windows Applications
- Windows Security
- Windows Networking
- Windows Customization (Themes and so on...)
- Windows Drivers

(I think Tips and Tweaks can be merged into the respective Windows OS version forums)

Mac and UNIX Discussion and Support:
- Mac OS X
- Linux/BSD

Hardware Discussion and Support:
- Motherboards and CPU's
- Audio and Video
- Networking Hardware
- Portable Devices (laptops, mp3 players, cellphones/PDA's etc)
- Other Hardware
- Overclocking and Benchmarks

Gamer's Haven:
- PC Gaming
- Console Gaming

Design and Development:
- Graphics Design
- Coding and Design

Non-Technical:
- Real World Issues (including, but not limited to politics, by popular demand?)
- Music, Movies and TV
- Jokes and Humour
- The Lounge
- The Trading Post

Site-Related:
- Current Problems
- Fixed Problems and Feedback
- OSNN Downloads
- Elite Heaven

Administration:
- Forum Team
- Frontpage Team

Yeah I like some of those changes and I am sure many will be happy to see a politics forums, however I am not one of them!

I don't think I will go as mad as to break down the windows forums into each released os. I like the idea of a future Longhorn forum and basically I want to give it the kind of position the 64 bit forum has at the moment, I do intend to merge the x64 forum into the windows 2000/xp forum eventually

I like the changes you've made thus far.

The addition of Portable Devices and Hard Talk are good ones.
I also see you changed to Windows Customization (US sp.).

I know you probably like having every thing "Windows ..." but I think Customizing Windows (US sp.) would make more sense.

To be honest I would love to drop the word customisation/customization .. clears up that whole issue ;D

I am still deciding on the windows os breakdown, I think I am going to keep the general section tough one, willprob just add a quickie server section and work on it as and when.

What issue? We all know how to spell.

I am still deciding on the windows os breakdown, I think I am going to keep the general section tough one, willprob just add a quickie server section and work on it as and when.

must be a nice feeling designing the way you want it. Everything is looking great so far I like the political forum. I just need to stay out of it hehe.

Im about to dive into win server 2003 so i will be frequenting the new section.

Ahh. It appears I have a stong following for the Windows Server Forum.

Yeah don't worry it is coming, i have some questions i need answering myself!!
It is either under serious consideration or I am being lazy, hold your opinion :p

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back