Windows or Winxp?

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by wingman411, Jul 22, 2003.

1. wingman411

wingman411 OSNN Senior Addict

I have windows xp pro at home and Windows xp academic at work (I think). My question is at home I have a windows directory and at work the directory is called winxp. Does anyone know why?

2. Lighter

Lighter . . . . . . . . .

The winxp directory was probably set up intentionally at your workplace. By default (on a clean install) Windows is the install dir. However, you can assign it whatever dir you want during the setup process and on a different drive as well.

3. wingman411

It was a network install at work. That makes sense.

4. wingman411

At home I can change the picture for my acccount in the start menu. At work I can't get that option under manager user accounts. Is there any other way (through the registry) to set a pictrue in the start menu?

5. sinnoc00

sinnoc00 Mad as a Lorry

You can only set a picture for your user account if the PC is a member of a workgroup, rather than a domain.
    The PCs at work are most likely members of a domain, so there's no way to set a picture - work PCs are for work remember not for setting pretty pictures ! (says me typing this at work :p )

6. jonifen

jonifen pffff...

lol :p

Even if you're not part of a domain, if you have turned off the welcome screen, then you cant set the image then either

(says me also typing at work lol)

7. wingman411

How about the one in the start menu?

8. sinnoc00

sinnoc00 Mad as a Lorry

The user account picture is the same one you see in the start menu, so you can't do it if either the PC is a member of a domain, or as jonifen says, they've turned off the Welcome screen. Sorry !

9. Lighter

Lighter . . . . . . . . .

Or there's a group/user policy control preventing all that nonsense. I deployed that here and my staff hates me for removing all their config abilities. :)

10. ModestCargo

ModestCargo Guest

Windows XP Academic... uh, wouldn't your office have Windows XP Pro or Windows XP Corporate? I didn't think there were any other versions of Win XP.

11. The_Schwarz

The_Schwarz Guest

not if it is an academic institution

12. wingman411

Right, i work at a middle school.