Windows Not Loading

~bk

I
Political Access
Alright, so Windows XP Home isn't loading on my dad's laptop. :\ I'm getting the following error:

File is corrupt or missing in the following destination -
WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM
It tells me to repair it by inserting the Windows XP CD.

Things that I have tried already:

- Inserted the Windows XP CD to repair it. I went pretty far, then I got stuck. I didn't know what to enter when it showed me the legend to repair files?

- Tried booting from Safe Mode. Still didn't work. Getting the same error.

- When starting up, I pressed F8 and selected 'Last Known Good Configuration'. Didn't work either.

Any ideas on how to fix this without loosing my data? :(

Alright, so Windows XP Home isn't loading on my dad's laptop. :\ I'm getting the following error:

It tells me to repair it by inserting the Windows XP CD.

Things that I have tried already:

- Inserted the Windows XP CD to repair it. I went pretty far, then I got stuck. I didn't know what to enter when it showed me the legend to repair files?

- Tried booting from Safe Mode. Still didn't work. Getting the same error.

- When starting up, I pressed F8 and selected 'Last Known Good Configuration'. Didn't work either.

Any ideas on how to fix this without loosing my data? :(

What do mean didn't know what to enter? what was it asking?

Unless XP Home install is different than the XP Pro install, you can either run a repair (hitting "R" I think) right at the start of the setup process, or you can go through like you are doing a new install which at some points detects you have windows installed already and will give an option to repair the existing install.

Beyond running the repair and/or using the recovery console.. you have tried the recovery console, right?

You can always try to either a) reinstall windows on top of itself (ie: point the installation to the c:\windows folder) or b) install windows to a different directory (ie: c:\windows2 or something). Option a) should preserve most application installations. option b) will require most applications to be reinstalled.

I ran the CHKDSK through the Recovery Console. Took quite a while, but it works fine now. Thanks American zombie, fitz, and Grandmaster. ;)

Any idea why it happened?

I ran the CHKDSK through the Recovery Console. Took quite a while, but it works fine now. Thanks American zombie, fitz, and Grandmaster. ;)

Any idea why it happened?

Windows is strange. Eww at the pink.

always happy to try to help.. although I think the others did most of the work :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back