Windows Media Player

M

Mr. Sushi

It is DRIVING me insane. I don't know how to make it automatically organize my mp3s by title.. and reopen and view my list with it automatically organized by title.. also it keeps bothering me about updating my media library. can i stop that?

get winamp at winamp.com that's a much better program

mafiafromrussia, That's debatable.

Mr. Sushi, when you add an audio file (WMA/MP3) to the media library it adds it to the end of the data file stored in the MS shares directory.

However, if you open the media libary tab, you can alphabatize by your choice of title, artist, etc. by clicking the upper bar (the one that says title, artist, album, etc.). You are unable to use this method when viewing the playlist.

The only way not to see the '..updating media library...' is to view WMP in skin mode.

Hope this helps.

thanks but i tried that and all it does is re-orders it in the last put in the media library order again. and i hate that format. everytime i want it in alphabetical order every time i turn WMP on.

and on the winamp part, i have winamp and i dont think its bad but i like WMP more. i feel kinda restrained with the limited amount of space the thing gives me for space to write my title names for my mp3s. even though i can stretch the playlist thing bigger so i can fit bigger names it looks even more awkward. also the skins just dont look as exciting as the ones for media playe are and i dont know why but i just like the interface of WMP more. this is just my opinion so please dont take it too seriously.

Well, I know for a fact if you wipe your media library clean by deleting all files added, then doing F3, and listing them how you want (by clicking the bar), then adding them to your playlist, it adds them alphabetically.

or you can simply delete this file:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Media Index\wmplibrary_v_0_12.db

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

no way, you've been a giant help, but before i delete this file i would like to know what it is and what it does. i dont like deleting files that look important. i guess i'm paranoid.

orr wait, does deleting that file simply wipe my media player list. hmm if so i dont think i want to do that since sometimes when i bring back mp3s into the list it names them differently than how i orginally named them.

That is your media library file. It keeps track of the location, what playlist it is in, and play count, among other things. By deleting that file, your media library is reset back to null. Once you start your new media library, the file will be recreated.

and, it will add the files based on how you have them named and what tags they carry.

you can view more details on each MP3 by right clicking and choosing properties. Then click the "Summary" tab, and click "Advanced >>>"

By doing this you can change each property of the MP3 tags.

i'm slow with computers so i didn't quite understand, by deleting this file will i lose my playlist and have put them back in again? also, when i right click and hit properties for a mp3 all i get is general, license information, and lyrics.

or woah woah woah, wait you saying windows XP has it by default that it orders my mp3s by the date i added them. but if i delete this file and have it make another one xp will make it so it orders them by title? if so then i would be willing to remake my list.

okay.

By deleting the file, you will erase your entire media library and yes, your playlists.

However, if all you want to do is rearrange your playlist to be in a certain alpha order, all you need to do is erase the playlist completely, arrange the media library how you want it, then add those files back to your playlist.

View the attachment to see what I am speaking of, the media player (all audio) is showing in alpha order.

Originally posted by Mr. Sushi
or woah woah woah, wait you saying windows XP has it by default that it orders my mp3s by the date i added them. but if i delete this file and have it make another one xp will make it so it orders them by title? if so then i would be willing to remake my list.

By default, yes. WMP adds it to the playlist by date added to the media library. However, you can choose which method you want to arrange them by (song title, author, album, etc.).

wow, how did you make it alphabetical by artist(although i want it to be alphabetical by title)? where can you change how it orders it by? i try hitting the tab but it just reverts back the next time i start WMP.

Simple, click the top bar (see attachment, it is circled) either on title or artist (or whatever).

i see, however my problem is everytime i quit it instantly reverts back to ordering them by the order i added them thus leaving me required to hit the title bar again every time.

FYI - when i hit the bar it gives me arrow up/arrow down on the top bar. i dont know about yours.

Yes, it should give you an arrow, meaning accending or descending order.

However, you state that once you close WMP and reopen it, it reverts back to the old order, that is weird. But, if you order it how you want, then add those songs to your playlist, it should maintain the order you added them as.

Just to clarify, which I am sure you know, the media library and playlist are completely different from one another. The media library contains all audio added, a playlist is just those audio files you chose to add.

Give it a try and let me know.

Originally posted by madmatt
mafiafromrussia, That's debatable.

Hope this helps.

well that's just my opinion about it, winamp i think it easyer to configure and it takes less resources then wmp, at least for me anyway. but i know that some people prefer wmp, dont see why though

Originally posted by mafiafromrussia
but i know that some people prefer wmp, dont see why though

Bill Gates is my hero. I love MS, I dislike AOL Time Warner. Simply put? =)

Originally posted by madmatt

Bill Gates is my hero. I love MS, I dislike AOL Time Warner. Simply put? =)

lol that's a way to suck up :D . and i'm not a big fan of aol stuff, although it is great to get warez off it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back