windows media center, just upgrade?

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by SuperModelRobot, Jan 18, 2006.

1. SuperModelRobot

SuperModelRobot OSNN Addict

i was wondering if there was a media center update for my windows. Kinda like a single cd update, where i dont have to update my whole windows. I know WMC you can choose to upgrade your system or full install, but all i want is the Media center on my pc....can this be done..

2. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

I'm not really 100% sure on what you mean, but if you are trying to upgrade from normal Windows (XP or Home) to Windows Media Edition, I wouldn't recommend it. Windows Media Edition is only available on certain hardware platforms because of hardware requirements. You should spend some time reading about the product to learn a little bit more.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/mediacenter/default.mspx

If I missed what you were asking for, my apologies.

3. SuperModelRobot

i understand all that, but i was thinking about the update in general, for example my moms computer was re-released with Media center. My step dad is all intersted in it an asked me to look into getting it on his pc. I could go download one, but why would i do that when i have a legit windows. All he wants is an update just for media center, not a whole windows update...

4. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 (quite a mouthful) is a separate XP SKU that includes the Media Center component, which is basically a nice front-end for watching TV, movies, picture slideshows and listening to music. Unfortunately, the Media Center component is only installed with MCE 2005, so you actually have to install that instead of XP Home/Pro if you want to use it.

5. kcnychief

lol - yeah, that's what I was trying to say :rolleyes: :p

6. SuperModelRobot

so there is not just an update....a WHOLE TRHING?

7. kcnychief

Yes, a whole thing. There is no upgrade path, a full CD version must be purchased.

8. SuperModelRobot