Windows Me problem, VIAO Sony Laptop

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Homerbalooza, Jun 30, 2003.

1. Homerbalooza

Homerbalooza Guest

My mom ha bought this laptop about 2 years ago. Now its starting to actup. Explorer is crash ever time the computer is turned on. It has 600 mghz and, 126 ram. If any one has any suggeston pla post here. I'm planning to reformat if all else fail.

-Nick

2. Bootsy

Bootsy Huh?

ME sucks, I would put 2000 on that machine, it will run a lot more stable.

3. Heeter

Heeter Overclocked Like A Mother

Yes, I will concur with Bootsy,

WinME, is not stable, no matter how you try, no matter how many patches MS puts out to fix it. (I don't even think ME is supported at all anymore, even MS put it's own OS out to pasture early) Go for Win2000 or even XP.

Heeter

4. Erbmaster

Erbmaster Moderator Folding Team

If ya really don't want to move to Win2K or XP, you could step back to 98se, this is still infinitely more secure than Me, although is no longer offers MS support (if ya need it, as already mentioned by the guys in the posts above).
    Me is probably Microsoft's worst offering in the last 10 years. Avoid it like the plague, especially when used on an excellent laptop such as a Sony Viao :) ;)

5. Un4gIvEn1

Un4gIvEn1 Moderator

ME is not sold by MS any longer. I believe it is still supported but only because it's still under it's license model. MS even recommends against new installations of ME. If it has worked alright up until now then a reformat will probably fix your issues, but as everyone else has said, you should switch to something a bit more stable.

6. Homerbalooza

Homerbalooza Guest

i dont think there is a way fr me to gret win 2000 no the laptop, but i do have the cd for xp home. Whatt u guys think?

7. Bootsy

Bootsy Huh?

I think that the 600mhz are just about enuff to run it properly ( a bit bogged down) but where I see a problem is with the ram. You shoud have at least 256 of ram to run XP...specially if you have shared video ram loke I think you do on that machine. I say, get another stick of ram (if the laptop is upgradable). and then going with XP.

8. Homerbalooza

Homerbalooza Guest

i just realized that i dont have the cd for windows xp :(, any other thaughts?

9. Bootsy

Bootsy Huh?

well, I would make sure that you dont put ME on that computer...it just blows.