Windows Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2 Preview

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2 Preview

I messed with IE in beta in previous versions, but not sure this time around. How is the stability on this thing?

I know we're talking beta... But I'm also helping out with some alpha actually, distributed computing projects, and would like to keep some issues outside their projects to a minimum; so I can make sure all my bug reports to them are meaningful/related to their software...

Another thing I noticed, it won't allow Flash8 to install, it says installation successful, then it says version 7.0.19 installed.

Memory usage of a freshly open IE to google: 25,036K, Firefox, 22,540K. If I then go to java.com to run a java applet, memory spikes to 75,000k, on Firefox it went to 34,000K. Not scientific, just my quick test.

As for stability, IE7 locked up on me twice so far in about 1 hour of browsing. Didn't bring the system down, but had to be killed via the taskmanager. Not sure if that is about right, I haven't used IE for regular browsing in literally years.

IMHO it looks and feels like Firefox with less options.

EDIT: Firefox just downloaded 1.5.0.1 and installed it automatically. Supposedly has some memory leak fixes, we'll see.

j79zlr said:
As for stability, IE7 locked up on me twice so far in about 1 hour of browsing. Didn't bring the system down, but had to be killed via the taskmanager. Not sure if that is about right, I haven't used IE for regular browsing in literally years.

EDIT: Firefox just downloaded 1.5.0.1 and installed it automatically. Supposedly has some memory leak fixes, we'll see.

hehe, looks like Firefox with less features... Well, in any case, I'll probably pass then for the time being. Not that I'm opposed to running pre-release software, but that I'm testing some stuff already for some people.

j79zlr said:
That's a very negative way of looking at it, I think.

It definitely shares many features with Firefox (which Firefox, in turn, shares with Opera, Safari and so on) but there are a number of things that the Firefox devs could learn from this IE 7 too.

Asa Dotzler from the Mozilla Corp. has been playing with the build for a while, and while he does make note of all the similarities, he does also acknowledge some of the unique aspects and writes things like "we could learn from this" or "we should do this in our next version" several times in his post.
http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/asa/archives/2006/02/my_thoughts_on.html

Good features and ideas from one browser usually make their way into others, and I don't believe there's anything wrong with that. It's nice, because you get a choice of several good products that you can pick from.

Albeit, from my own experience, the practical matter has been one of needing more then 1 browser, due to soem pages not working on a given one. And it isn't always the same one that doesn't work with a given browser. I do wish however, this didn't apply for various sites, but it's the way it has tended to be hitherto...

When the day is done, I at least have tended to stick with, and also use more then one, just in case... Now which is my default browser is another story entirely...

I really like the 'Quick Tabs' thinger, but instead of each tab being a fixed size I would like it to have a minimum size and then expand up if there is space. So if I have two tabs open then the quick tabs show two quite large renderings of the window but if I have more then it scales it down and so on.

Basically I want the Mac Exposé type features for the QuickTabs, dont know how Apple would be about that though, but it would be cool.

NetRyder said:
That's a very negative way of looking at it, I think.

It definitely shares many features with Firefox (which Firefox, in turn, shares with Opera, Safari and so on) but there are a number of things that the Firefox devs could learn from this IE 7 too.

Asa Dotzler from the Mozilla Corp. has been playing with the build for a while, and while he does make note of all the similarities, he does also acknowledge some of the unique aspects and writes things like "we could learn from this" or "we should do this in our next version" several times in his post.
http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/asa/archives/2006/02/my_thoughts_on.html

Good features and ideas from one browser usually make their way into others, and I don't believe there's anything wrong with that. It's nice, because you get a choice of several good products that you can pick from.
[brown nosing]

I'm not taking sides, but you really are becoming my favorite OSNN poster. I feel that whenever you say anything about anything, you always have such a fact-driven support for your argument, which puts a ton of credibility behind your statements. Keep up the good work brother, your posts are always a joy to read.

[/brown nosing] :)

One of my favorite features so far, which may seem kinda lame to others, is that after you navigate to the Favorites Center, and then click a Favorite, the center itself then auto-hides. I love that, back to maximum browsing area :)

I know you could always close manually in previous version, but that's just a neat feature :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Great thread first of all, took me awhile to get through it all, and y'all answered some of my questions.

I am running 5299 - and have noticed the Cleartype default. Nice look, but I'm gonna try turning it off.

Now there are a few bugs I've noticed, that may be mentioned elsewhere on the net, but they havn't yet made it here.

I'm running the messenger beta as well, and I've noticed that if I right click, and go to my email inbox, IE7 opens up, with a blank page, and nothing happens. No done, no text, no address, nothing. I close it, right click on messenger dude in systray, and try again. Works perfectly.

Next, I'm hoping this is related to the cleartext... is that if I compose a new hotmail message, everything loads up, ready to go... and I start typing the email. If I hit backspace, it goes through the characters. No deleting. Delete key does same. Seems ironic one of the only sites I've had trouble with is an MS site.

Also, its not called Microsoft Internet Explorer, its called Windows Internet Explorer now... just an fyi (might wanna change title or sumping) :)

Khayman said:
Also, its not called Microsoft Internet Explorer, its called Windows Internet Explorer now... just an fyi (might wanna change title or sumping) :)

Why. That change was introduced on August 12th 2005. I still identify with it as MS IE.

It crushes FF on page load times now. Incredibly fast. Hope the final has the same speed.

Mastershakes said:
Why. That change was introduced on August 12th 2005. I still identify with it as MS IE.
Cause its wrong...just wrong...plain wrong..110% wrong....and so on

Khayman said:
I already noted that, pay attention!

A shortcut for IE7 was added to the system tools folder that allows you to run IE without any addons.

"C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" -extoff

Khayman said:

K. hehe. change it then !! ;)

madmatt said:
A shortcut for IE7 was added to the system tools folder that allows you to run IE without any addons.

"C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" -extoff

So if I ran it as such - it will run as IE6 basically?

IE6 has addons.

It would run without Active X, Flash, Adobe Plug-ins, etc.

Weird how it says Windows Internet Explorer in the About Menu, but the Title Bar says Microsoft Internet Explorer.

They need to finish branding :D

wwwdjrcs said:
Weird how it says Windows Internet Explorer in the About Menu, but the Title Bar says Microsoft Internet Explorer.

They need to finish branding :D
both say the same in mine :)

Last edited:

Khayman said:

Meh, if Microsoft can't even sort out how they themselves refer to the program, from within the piece of software itself; doesn't entirely matter. If one can be as correct as Microsoft in identifying their own product... :D

We're better than Microsoft, we're OSNN damn it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back