Windows Hyper-V Server 2008

X-Istence

Political Access
So, I wanted to play around with Windows Server 2008, or at least the HyperV part of it. I have a AMD 64 X2 4200+, with 4 GB's of ram and for some reason the installer refuses to boot. It gets to the screen where it says "Loading", where normally the Windows logo would appear animated and pulsate.

Is there a way to boot the installer into diagnostic mode? I'd like to figure out what is wrong with it as I really want to have a go at this HyperV stuff.

Hey X..

What kind of other hardware you running this on? Is the hardware assisted virtualzation enabled in the BIOS?

Any reason you're not playing with ESXi instead?

I would possibly try 2008 R2 as hyper-v is faster on it.
I have seen this issue before with AMD cpu's/chipsets but I have been unable to find a fix for it.

This is R2, sorry. I downloaded the free version available from MSFT.

Hey X..

What kind of other hardware you running this on? Is the hardware assisted virtualzation enabled in the BIOS?

Any reason you're not playing with ESXi instead?

What other hardware are you looking for? Not sure of the motherboard, the PCI Express slot for the graphics card is bust though, so I am using an old PCI graphics card. Could that cause an issue?

I am not playing with ESXi because Hyper-V was an interesting platform I hadn't played with yet, ESXi I have played with before.

Currently the same machine is now running OpenSolaris, with xVM (Xen) with three different virtual machines. Xen was new to me as well, so it is a good exercise, but I am kind of sad that Hyper-V won't even boot.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back