Windows Hyper-V Server 2008

Discussion in 'Windows Server Systems' started by X-Istence, Apr 15, 2010.

1. X-Istence

X-Istence * Political User

So, I wanted to play around with Windows Server 2008, or at least the HyperV part of it. I have a AMD 64 X2 4200+, with 4 GB's of ram and for some reason the installer refuses to boot. It gets to the screen where it says "Loading", where normally the Windows logo would appear animated and pulsate.

Is there a way to boot the installer into diagnostic mode? I'd like to figure out what is wrong with it as I really want to have a go at this HyperV stuff.

2. fitz

fitz Just Floating Along Staff Member Political User Folding Team

Hey X..

What kind of other hardware you running this on? Is the hardware assisted virtualzation enabled in the BIOS?

Any reason you're not playing with ESXi instead?

3. ZeroHour

ZeroHour ho3 ho3 ho3

I would possibly try 2008 R2 as hyper-v is faster on it.
    I have seen this issue before with AMD cpu's/chipsets but I have been unable to find a fix for it.

4. X-Istence

This is R2, sorry. I downloaded the free version available from MSFT.

5. X-Istence

What other hardware are you looking for? Not sure of the motherboard, the PCI Express slot for the graphics card is bust though, so I am using an old PCI graphics card. Could that cause an issue?

I am not playing with ESXi because Hyper-V was an interesting platform I hadn't played with yet, ESXi I have played with before.

Currently the same machine is now running OpenSolaris, with xVM (Xen) with three different virtual machines. Xen was new to me as well, so it is a good exercise, but I am kind of sad that Hyper-V won't even boot.