Windows has recovered from a serious...

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by MrBib2000, Feb 25, 2002.

1. MrBib2000

MrBib2000 Guest

I get something along the line of "Windows has recovered from a serious system error..." with each power up and logon. The details are:

C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini022502-01.dmp
    C:\DOCUME~1\me\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER1.tmp.dir00\sysdata.xml

Anyone know what this is all about?

2. jw50

jw50 OSNN Senior Addict

Your best bet to solve that problem would be to backup all your data files, boot to the XP CD, reformat your hard drive and do a clean install of XP. If you still get that error after doing a clean install then I would think that you most likely have a compatibility problem.

3. stuy_b

stuy_b Guest

B4 you go with jw50s advice try this 1st....

Reboot, hold F8 key until menu options appear, and pick
    "Last Known Good Configuration"

This should load XP to a point before you started having problems, I've used it myself, its not like a system restore, as it doesnt unistall stuff, it just looks at some log or configuration file for a time when XP booted with NO errors.

From the same menu is the Restore Point option too, so try either, a reinstall is a last..last..last resort!

Stuy_b

4. MrBib2000

MrBib2000 Guest

Found the answer. Thanks!

I tried system restore. It does not work. I tried about 12 different restore dates. It went through the reboot and then said that the restore would not work.

Anyways, Microsoft has posted a critical update to this problem (the error at boot-up, that is). I downloaded it and it solved the problem. Thanks for the input!

5. Electronic Punk

Electronic Punk Administrator Staff Member Political User Folding Team

This irritated the hell out of me and did cause a reinstall once, I installed the recent patch tat would prevent me, but I guess the damage was already done... so...I have disabled error reporting altogether, here is how you can do it:

- Control Panel
    - System
    - Advanced
    - Error reporting
    - Disable (leave checkbox clear too)

That should stop it, but also if a program crashes anywhere else it will just dump you back to the desktop...

6. stapler101

stapler101 Guest

I think micorsoft has a patch for this. Check windows update.

7. ThorT

ThorT Guest