Windows CD Key Help!

T

ThePunkerGuy

Hi, I was wondering about something...
Lets say i am fixing a computer for someone.. the computer has windows 98.. it needs to be formated or windows reinstalled buy i want to use the same Win98 CD Key that it is already using, but they dont have the book with the Key on it. Is there anyway to go on a computer using win 98 (and win xp..) and find out what CD Key was used to install it, so i can use that same key when reinstalling it? Thanks a million!
- Mike

No I don't beleive there is away you can do that, but basically any old Windows 98 key will work, I don't think it's actually used for anything once Windows has been installed.

I bought a copy of Windows 98 when it first came out, and then 12 months later I bought Windows 98 SE and used the key from the original Windows 98 to install SE, the same thing goes with Windows 95, apart from the upgrade version as the CD key sustem for that is similar to Windows NT 4.

gee, i'm just glad i have a fast internet connection to see this signature image...

Win 98 CD Key

I think its in the registry........

Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion
Look at ProductID. I think that will be the CD Key

this place has a little program to help..

http://www.windows-help.net/ttw/index.html

thepunkerguy, you might want to consider making your sig image a little smaller in size, it took 5 minutes to download over my 56 k connection.

thepunkerguy, you might want to consider making your sig image a little smaller in size, it took 5 minutes to download over my 56 k connection.

Ok, Will work on it, thanks for letting me know!
- Mike

I think its in the registry........
It's weird... like after you install windows it uses a Product ID, not the regular cd key anymore.. like you can get that product ID by right clicking on my computer and going to properties too.
- Mike

Actually, if I remember right, you can open the msdos.sys file and it's in there somewhere. Just have to do a little hunting........

I dont even have a msdos.sys file on my comp. And X-Istence i did make my sig pic smaller .. and changed a few thing.. thanks for the idea.
- Mike

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back