Windows CD Key Help!

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by ThePunkerGuy, Jun 17, 2002.

1. ThePunkerGuy

ThePunkerGuy Guest

Hi, I was wondering about something...
    Lets say i am fixing a computer for someone.. the computer has windows 98.. it needs to be formated or windows reinstalled buy i want to use the same Win98 CD Key that it is already using, but they dont have the book with the Key on it. Is there anyway to go on a computer using win 98 (and win xp..) and find out what CD Key was used to install it, so i can use that same key when reinstalling it? Thanks a million!
    - Mike

2. Behemoth

Behemoth Guest

No I don't beleive there is away you can do that, but basically any old Windows 98 key will work, I don't think it's actually used for anything once Windows has been installed.

I bought a copy of Windows 98 when it first came out, and then 12 months later I bought Windows 98 SE and used the key from the original Windows 98 to install SE, the same thing goes with Windows 95, apart from the upgrade version as the CD key sustem for that is similar to Windows NT 4.

3. ThePunkerGuy

ThePunkerGuy Guest

ok.. thanks

4. Swi

Swi gningnegneur

gee, i'm just glad i have a fast internet connection to see this signature image...

5. SunbeamHigh

SunbeamHigh Guest

Win 98 CD Key

I think its in the registry........

Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion
    Look at ProductID. I think that will be the CD Key

this place has a little program to help..

http://www.windows-help.net/ttw/index.html

6. X-Istence

X-Istence * Political User

thepunkerguy, you might want to consider making your sig image a little smaller in size, it took 5 minutes to download over my 56 k connection.

7. ThePunkerGuy

ThePunkerGuy Guest

Ok, Will work on it, thanks for letting me know!
    - Mike

8. ThePunkerGuy

ThePunkerGuy Guest

It's weird... like after you install windows it uses a Product ID, not the regular cd key anymore.. like you can get that product ID by right clicking on my computer and going to properties too.
    - Mike

9. Eolis

Eolis Guest

Actually, if I remember right, you can open the msdos.sys file and it's in there somewhere. Just have to do a little hunting........

10. ThePunkerGuy

ThePunkerGuy Guest

I dont even have a msdos.sys file on my comp. And X-Istence i did make my sig pic smaller .. and changed a few thing.. thanks for the idea.
    - Mike