Windows Backup & Restore

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Bman, Mar 8, 2007.

1. Bman

Bman OSNN Veteran Original

Since I have Vista, I decided to try out its software. One I thought I should really check out is Vista's Built in Backup program.

I ran it, created a full image backup on my other drive. I was reading somewhere after you do this, windows will update it every so while. I can not tell that its doing this. How do I set it? I want to tell it when to do it.

Also, does this image contain my documents, pictures, music, etc etc etc?

2. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

3. Bman

Bman OSNN Veteran Original

Thanks man, when I first did the backup, it must of been a different shortcut cause it only let me do a complete backup and no settings. I looked around and now found the Backup Restore & Settings area, and everything is all good now.

Great little built in tool.

4. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

Cool, glad everything is sorted for you :)

5. brocher

brocher Moderator

Will this make a complete back up of the drive as in if the OS does haywire and needs a reinstall. My friend has bought a new pc with vista pre installed but got no back up disks, i tried drive image 7.0 but it is not compatible, so i need something that will back up his whole drive so if in a major crash i can boot from it as he got no windows disk and would require to but it.

6. Tuffgong4

Tuffgong4 The Donger Need Food!!!! Political User

does he have a second partition with the restore information installed on it. Depending on the brand of computer all the backup and restore information might be installed to a second partition and restored with a bootup utility. HP used to use these not sure if they still do.