WINDOWS activation

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by sherpard, Mar 27, 2003.

1. sherpard

sherpard Guest

hey pple!! is it true that windows can only be activated a limited number of times? i mean the original license which u and i paid for. is it true u can only activate windows with your key 3 times and it becomes like 'dead'? sorry thats what ive heard, im not totally sure
  2. Erbmaster

Erbmaster Moderator Folding Team

Middle Of Nowhere - UK
    Dunno m8, I thought it only expires when you change enough "core components" which will require re-activation.

Can't believe even MS would try to rip people off to that extent no really!!!!!

3. yoyo

yoyo _________________

4. rettahc

rettahc Guest

Well I've activated my copy more than three times and have yet to have a problem.
  5. Jewelzz

Jewelzz OSNN Godlike Veteran

I've activated more then 3 times as well and have changed a lot of my hardware in between
  6. Mr. Ass

Mr. Ass Guest

omg that must be so annoying.... I probably would have paid for Windows XP if it just wasnt for wpa.... I change alot of stuff around and i feel it is wrong i have to call MS and ask them for permission before i can use their OS its bull so i got it other ways... If or when they dump wpa i'll shell down money for windows
  7. GoNz0

GoNz0 NTFS Stoner

the year 2525
    when it does say you cant activate online anymore, you ring the phone number, waste 10 mins reading out an endless code, to then wait 5 mins as the nice lady on the end of the phone reads you your activation code out.... such a lot of messing about... but there is no limit as the woman on the phone said, ring as many times as you want it's a legal copy.
  8. rettahc

rettahc Guest

So far I've been lucky and havent need to call to activate.:happy: Of course now that I've said that I'm sure next time it will make me call:huh:
  9. freightgod

freightgod Confused and Bewildered

due to hardware madness, I have had to activate Windows XP at LEAST 2 dozen times, no lie!!!! No problems, either.
  10. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon The One and Only

Lehighton, PA
    Get XP pro. don't even think it has WPA. at least i didn't have to activate it. never got a message saying i had to or anything.
  11. rettahc

rettahc Guest

XP pro requires activation
    If it didnt ask you to activate then your using a corporate key. Which means that your probably using an illegal copy.
  12. 03bigMark03

03bigMark03 Guest

13. sherpard

sherpard Guest

hahahahhah!!!. yah no talking about illegal stuff, warez and stuff around here, thanks for the info pple!
    the WPA info website
    great info there!
  14. sboulema

sboulema Moderator

Amstelveen, The Netherlands
    i hpe i can say htis, but with tweak-xp there is an option to save your windows and office activation.
  15. sherpard

sherpard Guest

but for me im using windows xp home edition so i wanna know whether it can be activated more than 3 times. everywhere they are saying unlimited times but maybe coz they didnt know i am using home edition not prof.
  16. djwhite

djwhite OSNN Senior Addict

You can activate XP Home and Professional as many times as you want, it's just after a certain number of internet activations you have to ring MS up.
  17. neo

neo Guest

I reinstalled windows xp 13 or 14 times. You can activate it only three times from the internet and then you have to call MS. They keep asking me the how many computers do I have, I wonder if one day the get :mad: at me. Guess have to keep trying :p :p :p;)
  18. I have installed Windows XP Home Edition onto my computer many times and have had NO problems activating my copy except one time when I would not connect to the net to activate so I had to call Microsoft Australia to activate. But after that no problems.
  19. Erbmaster

Erbmaster Moderator Folding Team

Middle Of Nowhere - UK
    With regard to Windows activation, some of you may (or may not :p) find the following of interest....

This is the main element in the WPA. Disabling this, means you can't start the WPA again until you re-enable it again.

This is recommended only if you already activated your LEGAL copy of XP to prevent pesky re-activation notices following hardware swap-outs.

Whether your copy is one of Bill's own, The Devil's own, or one of yer mates :rolleyes:, it's worth disabling

It doesn't affect your WPA, but it does make it possible to check your registration data/details.

You can disable both of these through a nifty free utility; XP Antispy
    I use after a fresh rebuild, and as the writers claim..
    1 more thing....make sure you renable the dll's before trying to apply any service packs etc. SP1 crashes the installation if these are disabled :eek:

Hope this helps :) :rolleyes:
  20. Burpster

Burpster Guest

a valid Corp key will remove all that silly Activation BS