Windows 98 disaster

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by jasonkruys, Nov 4, 2003.

1. jasonkruys

jasonkruys Guest

I ave recently encountered a problem when using Windows 98. Whenever I try to do ANYTHING on the computer, such as enter display properties, run IE, windows says that it cannot find rgkhqix.exe which it requires to run the file of type 'application'. I think it may have been deleted during an AVG virus scan. I have trawled the net and found no reference to this file, so I can replace. I really cannot afford to do a full reinstall. Please help :(

2. syllinx

syllinx OSNN Junior Addict

My first sugestion would be to try a registry fixer like norton utilities it has fixed several problems like the one you have.

3. Geffy

Geffy Moderator Folding Team

anyone with win98 post the file or something, I dont have win98 so I cant really help with this one

4. Leevoy

Leevoy Guest

is it win98se?

5. jasonkruys

jasonkruys Guest

I would if I could, but like I said, I can't even run any applications without it telling me it cant find that file.

Is it windows 98se? Not sure :confused: to be honest its not my computer, its my g/friend's. I think it may well be 98se

6. yoyo

yoyo _________________

Can you somehow, maybe from DOS, rename regedit.exe to regedit.com or copy regedit.exe as regedit.com?

Then try to start regedit.com.

If this should work navigate to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open\command
    The default value should be nothing else but

"%"%*

7. jasonkruys

jasonkruys Guest

I'll try that when I get down there later. In the meantime, any other thoughts? Does the aforementioned file even exist in anyone elses win98 install? I have had a quick look on my 98se cd but cant see it :confused:

8. Welsh

Welsh Guest

This file IS on the 98se cd.

9. yoyo

yoyo _________________

where?

10. jasonkruys

jasonkruys Guest

I second that, where?

11. ejm

ejm viking lost down under

Hi m8
    Just searched my win98se drive, it has all the latest updates on it, but as far as I'm conserned it has nothing to do with windows as it doesn't exsist on my drive. So your problem seems to be in your registry. Use norton systemworks to fix registry. If problem is still there find the offending party in file associations and delete it.

ejm

12. jasonkruys

jasonkruys Guest

Yeah I have searched other systems as well. I would use norton to fix it, but I can't run ANYTHING without it coming up with this error, not even notepad or regedit. funny tho, cos if I go to my favourites and click on a page from the start menu, IE comes up fine, but wont if you click on the icon :confused: . Think I am going to have to tell them the bad news, that a format and re-install is required. Think I'll put Windows ME on it this time, at least them system restore might help them the next time. Obviously I will aslo advise binning AVG and getting Norton AV, I can't help but think this would never have happened with that :p

13. yoyo

yoyo _________________

14. jasonkruys

jasonkruys Guest

yeah I tried that, but to no avail. Hard drive is formatting as we speak :(