Windows 98 and NTFS DRive

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by bigdingding, Sep 2, 2003.

1. bigdingding

bigdingding Guest

is there anyway for windows 98 to read a NTFS drive the i allready have 98 installed and have another drive in my compter and its a NTFS drive is there any way thanks

2. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

Maybe convert the NTFS to fat32.

3. Daviepants

Daviepants Guest

I think NTFS can only be used by NT based OSes.

4. Un4gIvEn1

Un4gIvEn1 Moderator

Can not be done. There are a few programs such as the one posted by Enyo that will let you read and write to them, but converting from NTFS to FAT can not be done.

5. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

Ever heard of Partition Magic?

6. Daviepants

Daviepants Guest

Yes, Partition Magic can do the conversion. That program saved my computer from certain death.

7. CJC

CJC Guest

off topic: what if ntfs? and what does it stand for?

8. j79zlr

j79zlr Glaanies script monkey Political User

NTFS = NT File System, FAT32 or FAT16 = File Allocation Table; They are different File systems.

9. Shamus MacNoob

Shamus MacNoob Moderator Political User

Partition magic but it can fail with a bit of luck it will do it , but it dont always work make sure there are no compressed files or folders on the drive. good luck

10. lechtard

lechtard Guest

NTFS is New Technology File System - It is M$'s way of trying to make the system more secure ..

DOS can not see NTFS, NTFS can see DOS though - Also You have to be carefull with converting a drive from NTFS to DOS if it has data on it, it is more than likely you can lose what is there - if you use a prog like Acronis Partition Expert you can convert drives without any data loss ..