Windows 8 Hell. I really need help.

Mubbers

Shoot!
Political Access
I bought a Sony Vaio laptop for my daughter, which btw is an excellent piece of kit except for the OS....

Windows 8. This was ordered in Nov 7 delivered for Xmas and to be honest I didn't really think to much about Windows 8 or 7 or whatver. I mean what could go wrong with just a newer version of windows.. :eek:

Any it's crap, not just crap: it's f***ing crap. She's supposed to be using this for school work and it's nothing like the Vista & W7 PC's at school, she can't find anything on it etc. etc. (and neither can I!).

Not only that I bought some games with it and although I have the disks they must have Steam installed to run.

Steam won't install. And I mean WON'T I have surfed the entire Steam support library and tried everything.

So basically I've spent nearly £1,000 on something completely useless. :mad:

To further add to the woe Sony themselves seem completely indifferent to the problem:

Thank you for contacting Sony. We are sorry to learn that you do not like the Windows 8. We acknowledge that you would like to downgrade to widnows 7 and you would like Sony to supply you with the installation discs.

In an attempt to clarify our position toward this matter, we can advise you that Sony does not support downgrading from Windows 8 to Windows 7 on the latest fall 2012 models , therefore, the end-user customer is responsible for obtaining the installation media and corresponding product key for the downgrade-eligible OS. If you choose to install another OS, please note the following:

·Sony has not tested your Windows 8 PC for Windows 7 and does not provide Windows 7 drivers through its website.
· If you have a problem that requires Sony support, you may need to restore the original OS, to troubleshoot your problem.

So it seems like I'm goosed. Any ideas with a reformat and load up of Windows 7? What about drivers?

I am so so angry.

I have Win 8 64 and steam installed/runs all games.

I also installed startisback so I have my start menu just like in Win 7.

You can put windows 7 on it without any conflict. I also feel your pain. I was a beta tester for Windows 8 and I repeatedly told Microsoft of my distain for it.

I have an iMac. Yesterday I hated it.

Now I'm looking at in a new light!

Just do a clean install of either 8 or 7, I had no issues as well.

So maybe they messed up somehow when installing it.

Response is a little late but:

Win 8 should not have install issues with anything since it is essentially Win 7 with a Tablet friendly interface".
1) Make sure you are running with elevated privileges when installing.
2) Get the crap off the laptop (Norton trials, Sony spyware, etc.) A clean install of Win 8 without the usual OEM added junk is always advisable. Some highly reputable software I just installed advised me to turn off AV before installing. Not gonna happen, but the point is that PC protection is getting so intrusive now that it can block functionality. My new build MB setup installed a bunch of invasive crap I had to pull out with tweezers and a magnifying glass...
3) Install for dual boot with Win 7. Give your daughter a break and try the Win 7 install. Drivers should be interchangeable with Win 8. She should see the same interface on her laptop as the school stuff. Learning is hard enough without having to work around a different OS and "school" is not going to upgrade to Win 8 (corporate roll outs are predicted to be nil for Win 8). Have the boot default to Win 7.

Window 8 created many problem for me. When i install it on my laptop than first it tiered me to install the simple drivers and than it tiered me to install simple applications like Skype, so than i decided that i will remove it and install window 7 again.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought a Sony Vaio laptop for my daughter, which btw is an excellent piece of kit except for the OS....

Windows 8. This was ordered in Nov 7 delivered for Xmas and to be honest I didn't really think to much about Windows 8 or 7 or whatver. I mean what could go wrong with just a newer version of windows.. :eek:

Any it's crap, not just crap: it's f***ing crap. She's supposed to be using this for school work and it's nothing like the Vista & W7 PC's at school, she can't find anything on it etc. etc. (and neither can I!).

Not only that I bought some games with it and although I have the disks they must have Steam installed to run.

Steam won't install. And I mean WON'T I have surfed the entire Steam support library and tried everything.

So basically I've spent nearly £1,000 on something completely useless. :mad:

To further add to the woe Sony themselves seem completely indifferent to the problem:

So it seems like I'm goosed. Any ideas with a reformat and load up of Windows 7? What about drivers?

I am so so angry.
Hi first i will say i got A Star in ICT at school and College. I am qualified to teach people about Information Communications Technology, I am going to help you out.

First windows 8 can only be used in certain areas around the world, secondly it depends on your computers performance, Windows 8 works perfectly on a Intel Core Duo 2.4Ghz and you may need a 257mb video card. Computer software these days are all down to connection and memory avalible on your hard drive. The other thing that may be a problem is the make of your computer/Laptop. e.g. I recommend apple mac computers more than original computers, but as you have windows 8 a apple mac computer will make windows 8 not compatible with the computer. Also make sure you have:
1. Windows XP service pack 3
2.Windows 7
3. Windows Vista service pack 2 or 3

Also games do not work for steam on windows 8, im very sorry. But i might be able to find a way for you to get your games working on windows 8.

The customer reviews for windows 8 is high, but only the graphic and personal content is the only reason why its rated as a good kit. In addition the gaming part of it is very low, the only games you can play on windows 8 are the ones in the windows live store. You may be able to get them on steam from the windows live store, but they wont be free :(

Hope this works for you mate, if not tell me everything it says when you try to start up windows 8 on a private email @ customersupport.modderexpress@outlook.com and i will do a tutorital with you to make sure 100% you get your computer/Windows 8 working.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back