Windows 7 X64 upgrade

Eiji

OSNN Addict
Has anyone upgraded from Vista X64 to Windows 7 X64?

I'd like to know whether its a good idea to upgrade over Vista X64 and whether all settings like favourites, desktop icons and other stuff like program settings are retained in the upgrade.

Thanks.

The upgrader is pretty clever this time around so you can give it a go, however regardless of whether you do an upgrade or a clean install you should always backup everything you think you might need.

Never upgrade a windows os. Always do a clean install.

Clean install is best as already mentioned. That way no junk is carried over to your new OS. You can always copy over your desktop/favourites folder(s)

Has anyone upgraded from Vista X64 to Windows 7 X64?

I'd like to know whether its a good idea to upgrade over Vista X64 and whether all settings like favourites, desktop icons and other stuff like program settings are retained in the upgrade.

Thanks.

Yes. I did this on my HTPC to try out the upgrade procedure.

Not worth it. You are left with so many redundant files, it's daft.

If you absolutely need to carry over a number of files, this may be a route to go but, it's pretty easy to do a backup and just port those files over.

Would this work?

I basically create a 20GB partition on my existing 200GB OS drive which has Vista X64 on it.

I install Windows 7 on the new 20GB partition and slowly expand this partitions size as I copy things over from the Vista X64 partition.

Eventually I delete the Vista X64 partition after I have taken everything I need from it.

What do you think?

yes it would work, you would end up with a dual boot system, but why not just back up and wipe? or do you only have the one drive in there?

Would this work?

I basically create a 20GB partition on my existing 200GB OS drive which has Vista X64 on it.

I install Windows 7 on the new 20GB partition and slowly expand this partitions size as I copy things over from the Vista X64 partition.

Eventually I delete the Vista X64 partition after I have taken everything I need from it.

What do you think?

This is kinda what I plan to do with XP and Windows 7 (dual boot).
Slowly migrating games/apps over then testing to see if they work on 7. If they do work I will then delete from XP and resize the 7 partition.
Some older games/apps I have will not run on Vista or 7.
The plan is to eventually have 7 as the main OS with XP just having old games/apps on it.

Two of my coworkers did the Vista 64 to Win 7 x64 upgrade and both are happy with their systems.

I upgraded RC to RTM (64 bit) on my work system and my boss' laptop. The upgrade util told me about two programs that would not function after the upgrade... one required a reinstall, the other only needed a driver reinstalled. Both related to virtual network adapters for VPN programs.

Would this work?

What do you think?

You probably wouldn't be able to completely delete the Windows Vista partition. It is probably THE boot partition which means that Windows 7 will install the necessary files and settings to be able to choose which OS to boot into on to the Vista partition. If you know for a fact (easy to check) that another partition is the boot partition, then yes you would be able to eventually delete the Vista one, although you might then have to run Windows 7's Startup Repair off the DVD because of the now missing partition between the boot one and Windows 7's.

Hope this makes sense to you. :D

It's easy to upgrade but IMHO it's always better to do a clean install and get rid of all that junk that stocks on your hard drive over time. BTW, if you have a big enough HDD, you can simply install windows on the same partition as the old version and it'll copy everything from the old one into a separate folder from which you can then copy all your settings.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back