Windows 7 USB

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by cnstecky, Aug 25, 2009.

1. cnstecky

cnstecky OSNN One Post Wonder

I have been using windows 7 and am having USB speeds of only around 1.5mb/s and was wondering if anyone else was having this problem?

2. OmniouS

OmniouS OSNN One Post Wonder

No problems here - my external hard drive transfers data at between 30 and 40MBps.

Can you please provide some more information? Such as which device are you connecting?, has this device transferred at a higher speed while using another operating system or machine? Motherboard model (or the specific chipset/southbridge model if you know it)

If you are using an older USB device or plugging in a new device into an old USB port i.e. not USB 2.0 rated, the speed will be limited:

1.5 Megabits per second is the theoretical speed limit of USB 1.0
    12 Megabits per second (1.5 Megabytes per second) is the theoretical speed limit of USB 1.1

Off topic but I'm looking forward to USB 3.0 becoming mainstream. It will have a theoretical transfer speed of approx 4.8Gbps (614MBps)!!

3. Roraima

Roraima OSNN One Post Wonder

I need to get a new computer and was wondering what to get if Vista, that is been so fouled about or windows 7. Any help appreciated. Thanks.

4. Otaku

Otaku OSNN One Post Wonder

If you have an old USB stick 1.5MB/s (12Mb/s equivalent) write speed would be normal even if USB 2.0 presuming of course that you may have confused your megabytes with megabits.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2009
  5. Roraima

Roraima OSNN One Post Wonder

sometimes I cannot open pages of the internet and I have to use Firefox, is there anyone who can help with this, pls?
    What's going on?