Windows 7 UK prices

Guybrush

Village Idiot
Interesting article with Microsoft offering discounts to early buyers of Windows 7 in the UK:

http://tech.uk.msn.com/news/article.aspx?cp-documentid=148173278

OR here is the complete article if the link is no longer there:

Microsoft announces Windows 7 prices

996BD3F5F0AB1FED833A5DA9AF1E.jpg

In the UK, Windows 7 will be sold at around half the normal retail price for the first few months after release.

Microsoft announced the deal, in which the Home Premium edition will cost £79.99, as part of the Windows 7 prices revealed today.

But that price is more than a promotional discount. Microsoft’s recent decision not to bundle its Internet Explorer web browser with the Windows 7 operating system in Europe means that only the full version, not the cheaper upgrade version, will be ready in Europe at the time of launch.

No upgrades for Europe
Microsoft is trying to avoid penalising those Windows Vista users who would have been eligible for the less expensive upgrade version by selling the full version to all European customers at a reduced price.

“We know that there are a number of customers that will just want the upgrade. It’s a lower price and they don’t need the full version,” says Leila Martine, Windows marketing leader in the UK.

768088D3567F96B95978987F5FC958.jpg

“...So a consumer, irrespective of whether they are upgrading or putting it on a seven-year-old XP computer, can get Windows 7 for £79.99. That’s our way to ensure our customers are not being negatively impacted.”

The deal will bring the cost of a full version of Windows 7 for someone in the UK roughly in line with what an American customer will pay for the upgrade version, $119.99 (£72).

Full-priced Windows 7
When the introductory offer expires on December 31, Home Premium (the edition targeted at home users) will sell for £149.99. Meanwhile, the Home Professional edition (targeted at business users) will rise from £189.99 to £219.99 and Ultimate (the most complete package) from £199.99 to £229.99.

The Microsoft decision to not include its latest browser with Windows 7 in Europe was a response to the early 2009 European Commission judgment, which called Microsoft’s selling Internet Explorer as part of Windows a violation of a competition laws.

Browser bundling
The final difference to most consumers may be minor, however. Windows UK marketing leader Leila Martine says that PC makers are still free – and likely – to add Internet Explorer, a browser with which they are familiar, to the machines they sell: “We have a great deal of confidence that they are going to continue shipping with the browser.”

Microsoft has also outlined an upgrade deal for people who buy Vista PCs before January 31 2010, in which participating PC makers will offer Windows 7 for the Vista machine for free (or with a small charge for shipping and handling).

Another deal will let pre-order customers buy Home Premium for £49.99 and Home Professional for £99.99 between July 15 and August 14.

not bad prices. I wonder if overclockers will sell OEM ultimate with some requisiste hardware for less then retail :)

Ecuse speling - been at the pun for 4 hours :D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back