Windows 7 doesn't see my IBM Model M PS/2 keyboard

X-Istence

Political Access
I have a Dell knock-off IBM Model M (from what I have heard these knockoffs were authorised) but for some reason Windows 7 does not see it at all. It is plugged into the PS/2 port and the BIOS is able to use it without issues, but as soon as I am started into Windows it refuses to let me use it.

Any ideas of where I can start looking. Does Windows 7 just not use PS/2 devices? If it is any hep, this is a Lenovo M75e (same one I reviewed a while back).

I'd love to hear what you guys have to say! Cheers!

Windows should have no issue with it. Rescan for non-pnp devices in device manager and see if that pokes it at all.

Tried the rescan for non-PNP no dice.

During the booting process I can keep flicking the num lock on and off until a certain point where Windows loads the keyboard driver and at that point it simply freezes with the numlock light on. USB keyboards work just fine.

I've given my Model M away to a friend, I'll go USB only. I have an old Sun Type 6 keyboard that I am going to get a USB convertor for so that I can use that as my keyboard.

USB is fine really unless you are a gamer and somehow need to press and hold more than 6 keys at once.

I liked the feel of the Model M. The USB keyboard I have now is mushy and I sometimes don't hit the keys hard enough to get a key press out of it.

I liked the feel of the Model M. The USB keyboard I have now is mushy and I sometimes don't hit the keys hard enough to get a key press out of it.

go grab a filco majestouch, steelseries 6 or 7 or any other keyboard using cherry switches (same as ibm m series) and attach them via ps/2 port :)

I can honestly say that I have fallen in love with Apple's keyboards. They have the same travel distance as a laptop keyboard (even have the same construction) but it feels solid, there is a real buckle to them. Whereas the Microsoft keyboard I am using temporarily annoys the hell out of me because it is mushy (and it is a "natural" keyboard which makes me miss the key I want way too much).

I'm not sure about your keyboard, but I had a wierd one with a USB hard drive and Windows 7 Professional, x-64. Basically, plugged it in, booted up, and Windows 7, much as you found here, wouldn't detect it. Was with SP1 and updated and all, also. But much like you had seen with your keyboard.... Needless to say, I can confirm encountering something similar with a different class device.

In my case it was with a Seagate Go Flex 1 TB HDD... Perhaps it didn't like the USB drive connecting through an older computer with a USB 2 port, but tbh this was a somewhat new one. I have seen gfx cards not come up sometimes, old AGP problem with the 430 LX chipset back in the day, but seemed nothing of the sort. I ended up, much to my chagrin, forking out another charge for a driver detection and install program (never, ever had a need for one of these before, as ordinarily you can just go to the mfg's website and go from there, but then hard drives don't have dedicated drivers). It found the drive, and installed, perhaps modified win7 to detect it also? It's worked since. This said, outside this once instance, I haven't run into it other times on win7 (unlike win95 that always seemed to have PnP detection issues /rofl )

Perhaps, it's possible there's a bit of a plug and play issue with not detecting that sometimes comes up? Has anyone seen this with any other devices? My drive wasn't a knock off either, but was purchased from Best Buy, and came shrink wrapped with all the box/blurb from Seagate for it....

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back