Windows 7 Beta 1 Free?

Discussion in 'Windows Applications' started by Gigabot, Dec 28, 2008.

1. Gigabot

Gigabot OSNN Senior Addict

When Microsoft releases Windows 7 Beta 1 download sometime around January is the beta download going to be free to download for anyone or is Microsoft only releasing it to a certain beta tester group (like MSDN subscribers)?

2. Electronic Punk

Electronic Punk Administrator Staff Member Political User Folding Team

Hard to say at the moment until it happens.

However it is all over the torrent sites at the moment if feel obliged to check it out :)

3. Gigabot

Wow just noticed that it was on Digg as well (http://digg.com/microsoft/Windows_7_Beta_ISO_leaked_on_torrent_trackers)! I know you're testing Windows 7 in your blog but is that the Beta 1? Would you say it's worth the upgrade? I've heard some good things about Windows 7 Beta 1 like it's faster than Vista and it automatically downloads all the drivers your computer needs.

Once I upgrade to Windows 7 Beta 1 I don't want to have to go back to Windows Vista. :D

Edit: I also have 1 GB RAM on my HP Slimline PC and a rating of 3.0. Will it be able to handle Windows 7?

4. Electronic Punk

Hard to say until MS release it, but thats what the current idea is.

5. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon The One and Only

Gigabot: i used Windows 7 build 6956.... and i can tell you that going back to Vista where all my games and such are installed is HARD! Copying the leaked beta 1 build 7000 to a DVD now to test that out.... but i don't see that opinion changing. lol

It's just got so many neat little features to it.... some that you hardly notice.... that once you DO notice them, you think "GOD why didn't M$ think of that sooner?!"

6. Gigabot

Now I'll definitely need to give it a try. I hope my PC will be able to handle it with the 1 Gig of RAM it has!

7. Perris Calderon

Perris Calderon Moderator Staff Member Political User

beta's are usually time bombed and get disabled after a time

8. ElementalDragon

perris: hate to say it.... but that's another one of the many wonders of the internet.......... cracks.

9. Perris Calderon

Perris Calderon Moderator Staff Member Political User

you can crack a microsoft timebomb?

I am indeed surprised, I thought it was like a self distruct, once invoed it would be totally destructed and gone

I guess not...thanx for the info

10. ElementalDragon

Hate the possible double post.... but this was worth it. Just noticed another neat little feature that's pretty sweet. If you're downloading a file.... the icon in the taskbar will have a progress bar going across it to show how much of said download is completed. figured i'd screenshot it just so u know what i'm talkin about. bottom left corner.

[​IMG]

Edit: this is build 7000, btw. nothing visually has changed on the surface from what i can tell... except for maybe that IE icon download progress bar bit. don't remember if that was part of 6956 or not.

Edit #2: and apparently that progress bar shows up for anything that has a progress bar. If you're extracting a .zip file with the built in unzipper (haven't tested with WinRAR or anything yet), the little explorer icon to the right of the IE icon will get the same progress bar telling you how far along the extraction is.

11. Electronic Punk

Yeah, that was in earlier builds.

Still trying to see if there are any noticable differences in 7000.

12. Gigabot

Hey, we should have a news post on OSNN front page about Windows 7 getting leaked! It's made the frontpage of Digg, Gizmodo, and many other big sites. :D

13. ElementalDragon

dunno.... but all i know is they could probably release it now.... and i'd be rather happy. haven't really run into a major hiccup yet.... except for the fact that it STILL doesn't seem to want to give me the option to boot into Windows 7 unless i have the install disc in my optical drive. :-/

14. Gigabot

That screenshot looks good ElementalDragon but I would be using Firefox to download. Would that progress bar also appear for the Firefox icon?

15. ElementalDragon

Haven't tried it. not really a fan of FF myself. rather like IE8. pretty damn quick.

16. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

It's not in my MSDN Subscriptions unfortunately :(

Thinking about getting IE8 x64. Any positives/negatives?

17. ElementalDragon

Sazar: Bittorrent is your friend. lol

The beta, from what i've heard..... isn't supposed to be released til sometime in January. was apparently leaked early by someone.

As for IE8.... i don't see why not. i mean, the ability to delete a website you typed into the address bar that got transferred into the dropdown box is nice... like how sometimes if you're brain is workin faster than your fingers, and you forget to type a letter, or finish typing ".com" before pressing the enter key.... can just delete that little mistake from existence. lol

.... InPrivate is a plus too. :p

18. Johnny

Johnny .. Commodore .. Political User

I will be getting this. I want it now !! :)

19. Gigabot

Right now my Windows Vista Business edition is being upgraded to Windows 7 Beta 1!

Attached Files:

20. Johnny

Johnny .. Commodore .. Political User

I have vista business also, It runs good .. Let me know how windows 7 is, gigabot.