Windows 2003 Server

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by skauch, Sep 11, 2003.

1. skauch

skauch Guest

Is this version very friendly?? or is it only for server, cuz i want to install it instead of XP, is it a good choice??

2. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

I'd say it's more of a server based operating system, and for desktop usage would have absolutely no advantage over XP.

3. skauch

skauch Guest

Ok thanks

4. wyrlwyn

wyrlwyn Guest

after having it for a few weeks, and using it in school(which is how i got it) i would say stick with xp home or pro, its only good for servers, normal home use, its a bit overkill(even for people like us) and it comes with no direct x support after installation, so, it kinda kills the whole home computing experience...

5. Un4gIvEn1

Un4gIvEn1 Moderator

The $800+ price tag definately a good enough reason not to run it at home. I have the Eval version and I run it at home, but it's only because I wanted to recreate the environment I work on at work. I can test things here that I wouldn't be able to at work. It's definately not for desktops.

6. ming

ming OSNN Advanced

Software thief :p

You can actually make Win2k3 into a workstation with the help of the msfn.org guide.

Link: MSFN.org

It's meant to run faster than Win XP as well as being more stable.
    However, Win2k3 does not support a number of device drivers, so you'll need to find out if it supports the devices in your machine(s). Graphics card drivers and MS mouse drivers had problems last time I read the forums.

Many people who have tested Win2k3 all agree that gamers and 3D app users should stick to WinXP.

7. Un4gIvEn1

Un4gIvEn1 Moderator

$800... That's all the reason not to run it.

8. grimman

grimman Guest

I run it as a workstation, trust me. Blows XP to bits. If you know what you're doing that is.

9. Electronic Punk

Electronic Punk Administrator Staff Member Political User Folding Team

Interesting guide, but really no use :s
    It is like using windows 2000 server as a workstation.

10. grimman

grimman Guest

I have done that too... and again, it's far superior to any of the desktop versions.

11. wyrlwyn

wyrlwyn Guest

not really theifing it, a teacher had a copy and let some students try it out... not like i'm running a credit card company in my room or anything... its more to just let us play around with what were gona be using in the work place, and to get a feel for how domains work and such... not the best for home use, but, if servers are your bag, i guess its ok