Windows 2003 Server

S

skauch

Is this version very friendly?? or is it only for server, cuz i want to install it instead of XP, is it a good choice??

I'd say it's more of a server based operating system, and for desktop usage would have absolutely no advantage over XP.

after having it for a few weeks, and using it in school(which is how i got it) i would say stick with xp home or pro, its only good for servers, normal home use, its a bit overkill(even for people like us) and it comes with no direct x support after installation, so, it kinda kills the whole home computing experience...

The $800+ price tag definately a good enough reason not to run it at home. I have the Eval version and I run it at home, but it's only because I wanted to recreate the environment I work on at work. I can test things here that I wouldn't be able to at work. It's definately not for desktops.

Originally posted by wyrlwyn
after having it for a few weeks, and using it in school(which is how i got it)...

Software thief :p

You can actually make Win2k3 into a workstation with the help of the msfn.org guide.

Link: MSFN.org

It's meant to run faster than Win XP as well as being more stable.
However, Win2k3 does not support a number of device drivers, so you'll need to find out if it supports the devices in your machine(s). Graphics card drivers and MS mouse drivers had problems last time I read the forums.

Many people who have tested Win2k3 all agree that gamers and 3D app users should stick to WinXP.

I run it as a workstation, trust me. Blows XP to bits. If you know what you're doing that is.

Interesting guide, but really no use :s
It is like using windows 2000 server as a workstation.

I have done that too... and again, it's far superior to any of the desktop versions.

not really theifing it, a teacher had a copy and let some students try it out... not like i'm running a credit card company in my room or anything... its more to just let us play around with what were gona be using in the work place, and to get a feel for how domains work and such... not the best for home use, but, if servers are your bag, i guess its ok

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back