WindowBlinds or Styles XP

Discussion in 'Desktop Customisation' started by kingnothing, Dec 9, 2001.

1. kingnothing

kingnothing Guest

Just wondering what you all think is the best skinning application. I realize Styles XP is still in beta, but let's just assume there are no serious problems.
  2. Lonman

Lonman Bleh!

I like StylesXP because it does it's thing and it is in effect gone - nothing running in the background.

If i wanted a running skinning app, i'd go with DesktopX, it's got by far the coolest looking stuff.
  3. TheMiracle

TheMiracle Guest

i have both, and windowblinds is just crap,and the only thing it is, a skin over xp, not xp skinned, understood stardock??,
  4. wile

wile Guest

I have both as well and there is only one winner Style XP
  5. Lonman

Lonman Bleh!

Styles XP is a run once type thing. What it does is hack your uxtheme.dll so you can run unsigned themes is all. So it runs and then it's done. That's what I like, it allows things to stay native, no "running" skinning program in the background.
  6. ZipTriX

ZipTriX Guest

ummm the new stylexp has something that runs in the background...take a look

*my mistake in getting new version....can someone send me the older version?*
  7. Lonman

Lonman Bleh!

Whoa. I didn't know they turned it into bloatware.
  8. ZipTriX

ZipTriX Guest

it is empty.....nothing is in there
  9. AndyP

AndyP OSNN Senior Addict

I don't have any software running in the background! Uses the 4.0 version.
    Btw, got a quote from one of the TGT-Soft guys about StylesXP and registration:

"Just so everyone here knows, you won't have to cough anything up until we release, which is months away.

All of the betas have hard expiration dates in them, but we promise to release an update before any date hits.

Please enjoy the free beta period.

Once we do release Style XP or StyleBuilder, then it will have a 30-day trial period built in.

If you really want a StyleBuilder key, but don't want to pay for it...

Just make an awesome skin, post it here on ThemeXP, and if we really like it, then we will send you a free key.

Maybe even put it in our download.

Imagine that!
  10. mojohns

mojohns Guest

can i apply the themes without style xp?
  11. Actaeon

Actaeon Guest

ZipTrix, what is that running on your backround that gives you temp, speed, etc? Sweet, style and backround btw.
  12. Lonman

Lonman Bleh!

13. Actaeon

Actaeon Guest

Thank you!

I finished building my machine last night, I can't wait to get home and mess with it.
  14. Ace123

Ace123 Guest

I cant beleive people acctually voted no on caring about the real meaning of christmas
  15. Jewelzz

Jewelzz OSNN Godlike Veteran

Hmm, very strange as this poll actually belongs to a thread started today.

Why you diggin up old stuff?
  16. xsivforce

xsivforce Prodigal Son Folding Team

Texas, USA
    Goofy things going on with polls at the moment. ;)
  17. madmatt

madmatt Bow Down to the King Political User

New York
    lol. that's funny. =)
    oh, and I vote for PatchXP.
  18. deej0tt

deej0tt - [ d | n | b ] -

style xp is de best. windowblinds has crappy themes and eats lots of ram
  19. bmetelsky

bmetelsky Guest

WB is not crap and does not "eat a lot of ram". I have used windowblinds for a couple of years now and can say that I am extremely happy with version 3.* - actually at 3.5 now with version 4 in the near future. I tried Style XP and then the uxtheme.dll patch since I wanted to look at other options for skinning the windows. I like the flexibility of windowblinds - the others offer only limited ability to change the gui. I can't believe the debate continues regarding ram usage. I think that stems from previous versions - prior to 3.*. Just my two cents.
  20. bmetelsky

bmetelsky Guest

Nice avatar!