Window Explorer Backgorund.

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by yellotang, Dec 2, 2002.

1. yellotang

yellotang Guest

Sorry if this is a repeat question. I looked around and can't find anyone posting about his. Is there a way to change the background of the windows explorer? Either by making it transparent or by adding color or even adding a picture to it?

If so, how?

2. andy_rose

andy_rose Moderator

if i understand u correct u can open any msstyle with reshacker and edit the toolbarbackground.bmp in the bitmaps category.

3. sboulema

sboulema Moderator

i think he means the background of a folder template. Like a picture of a camera in your my pictures folder

4. yoyo

yoyo _________________

There are two ways to add a custom background picture to a folder. Easiest way is to use this application:
    http://www.clonesoft.com/shellicons/index.htm

The other way is to edit the desktop.ini file. If the folder already has a desktop.ini (hidden file) just add these lines:

[{BE098140-A513-11D0-A3A4-00C04FD706EC}]
    Attributes=1
    IconArea_Image=C:\YOUR LOCATION\OF\ANY\IMAGE.JPG
    IconArea_Text=0x00000000

The last line in the script tells Windows what color the font will be when you read the files in that folder. For instance:

0x00000000 = black,0x00FF0000 = blue,0x0000FF00 = green,0x000000FF = red,0x00C000C0 = purple

If there is no desktop.ini file, the easiest way to create one is to rightclick the folder, choose customise and change the icon. You can change the icon back if you want later, but you now have a desktop.ini file to edit.

5. madmatt

madmatt Bow Down to the King Political User

edit desktop.ini within that directory.
    these are system files that are hidden by default (not regular hidden files).
    open desktop.ini and change the path to the picture you want to use.

6. madmatt

madmatt Bow Down to the King Political User

nevermind, yoyo beat me to the punchline.

7. yoyo

yoyo _________________

:D Has some kind of nostalgic feeling for me. Explaining how to edit the desktop.ini file has been my very first post here. :rolleyes:

8. yellotang

yellotang Guest

Cool, I tryed the altering of the desktop.ini file. works great. Now to figure out how to make that whole area transparent so that only the icons and fonts show up.