Windos XP Home + 1 Gig of Ram

Bleakboy

OSNN Junior Addict
Hi, having problem running Windows XP Home with a Gig of ram, I can run 512mb Ram stable, but as soon as I put the extra 512mb Ram in the board it hangs either at startup or after a couple of minutes,

The board is a MSI 845PE MAX 2, Ram is DDR 266Mhz (Major)

But i have tried the ram in seprately to elimate a bad ram chip and it works fine either in Bank 0 or Bank 1, also have re-flashed the bios, any ideas?:(

Hi there
Some motherboards had problems with DDR ram when running 2 or 3 banks. esp with large amounts, this could be the case or not the case. have you tried to relax the memory timings and those sorts of settings in the Bios? are the chips identical because sometimes random problems appeared with non matching pairs, altho very rare and uncommon that problem.

from what i understand, 2 sticks wont run at the fast timings that 1 stick will run.

also look for a bios update.

Also, I haven't checked out how many DIMM slots your motherboard has, but, if it has 3, have you tried putting them in slots 2 and 3 (instead of 1 and 2)?

also try 1 and 3 for the RAM, also make sure that they are all of the same spec, like the CAS latency and stuff, if they are even the slighest bit different you can have problems

The Ram is Excatly the same bought at the same time, and the board has only 2 DDR Slots

I think it my be a faulty board, but I might try running W2K Server if this works fine then the must be a problem with the board and Win XP Home

Could always try my other machines version of XP Pro, and see if i get the same prob.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back