Winchat really no add-on

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by ChrissiCom, Jun 15, 2002.

1. ChrissiCom

ChrissiCom Guest

Hi there

I read on the main page that XP has included a chat tool which can be opened by typing "winchat" in start > run... although that program doesn't exist. I have the US version of XP Pro installed with all (also non-windowsupdate.com) updates applied (except SP1 beta). I also only de-installed MS Messenger and MSN Explorer/IExplorer which shouldn't include this chat. So can someone please help where I can find this chat ?

2. Lonman

Lonman Bleh!

It may well be one of the base files for one of those programs you uninstalled. It does exist and on my machine winchat.exe is located in the X:\windows\system32 folder.

3. ChrissiCom

ChrissiCom Guest

Really strange it's not in my system32 folder also when I activate the option to show hidden and system protected files. Well, if it's not too big could you please send it to me by mail or upload it somewhere ? I'd love to try that tool.

Chrissi

4. Lonman

Lonman Bleh!

I think this is part of the SP1 beta. I just did a search in my archived files and it wasn't there. I fired it up and looked under the 'about chat' section in help and came back with this:
    [​IMG]

I don't know if this thing will work without SP1 installed, but you can try. Unrar and copy these files to the following folders:
    Winchat.ini >X:\windows
    winchat.chm > X:\windows\help
    winchat.hlp > X:\windows\help
    winchat.exe > X:\windows\system32 and X:\windows\system32\dllcache

5. ray_gillespie

ray_gillespie Moderator Staff Member Political User

I've got Windows XP, and it's on mine. Just typing Winchat through the Run command fires it up straight away. It's a load of rubbish tho, I can see why they didn't bother telling anyone about it lol.

6. tecky

tecky Guest

LOL

This once again is my way of saying NO IT DOES NOT COME ONLY IN SP1... IT IS BUILT INTO A XP INSTALL (CORP, HOME, and PRO)