Winamp 5 Discussion

This version is actually more stable than I thought it would be - It is nice ,, I like it .. I been running New Clear winamp 3 skin with it and it has'nt crashed or bogged my system down yet,,, With winamp 3 it would crash every 5 sec and slow my system down to a crawl ... I can still use all the plugins, visualizations, and skins I used with winamp 2.*, not it makes me even happier to use dfx with it .. It then has the features of 3 with some taken out, you still have the thinger - when you use certian skins ..

Links don't work. :(
Guessing they're aren't supposed to work anymore?

hmm
i just compared winamp 2.91 and winamp 5.0 alpha, and both use about the same amount of memory, but 5.0 uses no cpu time.

i think they're on to something :)

is there some specific way you have to get winamp3 skins to work? I right click and go to skins and select one and it says skin is not supported and the program crashes :(

I've only tried the MMD3 and PAD skins, but they work great....

I'm just using the MMD3. It's the best skin I've ever used, and it works perfectly. Some things are missing, but you won't notice them. :)

It still tells me the skin is not supported :( oh well.

Is there going to be multiple playlist support in winamp5?

Not trying to ruin the party but isn't this illegal and against forum guidlines... doesn't bother me particularly just the amount of agro in the past over things like this makes it all seem very hypacritical.

No, didnt mean that. The fact that anything like this (unofficially released) is illegal. It's an alpha right...it's been leaked illegally and therefore shouldnt be used.

If it was legit then surely the winamp site would have it for download anyway.

There are always things for download that aren't "on the site"

nVidia's detonators, ATI Catalysts, Winamp (this one, and v2.95 the other week) and so on, these are things that will never make profit when they are finally released to the public.
Un-released things such as Longhorn, for obvious reasons will never be linked to.

SPeedY_B
Whether a product is profit-making or not doesn't mean that if you can get it for free it's not illegal.

The example you give about the Winamp download...they removed that pretty sharpish after realising people were downloading it. When apps are on site like that (ie no direct link from the site) they are usually there for beta testers to download from, usually the links are sent to them by email.

Simply put winamp 5 alpha isn't legally meant to be in the consumers (our) posession.

I can understand that AOL probably didn't intend for it to get into the public, but is there anything really LAW breaking about it doing so?
It's so easy to say something is illegal, is there an actual written law anywhere that states downloading winamp5 is illegal (obviously not in those words...)

I can understand that AOL wouldnt want the alpha made availble. They have made claims that they will pursue legal action against people distributing the file, but realistically as they never really make any money out of it anyways I cant really see them going for it.
Also chances are this is an unoffical intentional leak to get some testing done and to whet the appetites of users, the threat of legal action almost ensures that the file will get spread further.

they have made claims that they will pursue legal action against people distributing the file
Have THEY actually said this though? the only proposed threats I've seen where by moderators on the winamp forum, which is hardly official.

btw, does anyone know of a way to contact nullsoft? I tried their online contact form and a direct e-mail but they both got bounced back (seems anything @winamp.com gets bounced around a fair few places before finally realising it needs to give up :p )

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back