win2k... p2p client.. no connect

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by DJYoshaBYD, Dec 24, 2005.

1. DJYoshaBYD

DJYoshaBYD OSNN One Post Wonder

I am running a windows 2000 computer with clearwire broaband... I can browse and download on the web, but no connection to p2p clients.... No firewall... no router... actually no internet security AT ALL... I took everything off so I could try and figure out why it wouldnt work... Is there anything else that would block this? is there a way to change to ports that these type of programs operate on? and No, the isp is not blocking the ports and it is in my house, not a school network... no proxy either

2. Bman

Bman OSNN Veteran Original

Which P2P programs have you tryed?

3. DJYoshaBYD

DJYoshaBYD OSNN One Post Wonder

kazaa.... limewire.. soulseek... bearshare.. they all say "connecting" but never connects...

4. Bman

Not sure if it's really the program, but the only one that has ever worked for me was Ares. Try that.

5. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

I think kazaa, shareaza, Azureus are all still working, shareaza for sure. Several of the P2P and Bittorrent systems have been shutdown by court order. Your ISP may be blocking P2P if they are a smaller operation in fear of legal action against them. Call them and ask if in doubt.

And put that security back up!

At least a current antivirus, and if you are on cable, a firewall are mandatory unless you like reformating and reinstalling all your data. P2P systems are extremely nasty places. Not as bad as IRC, but still expect half the files you download from Kazaa to be infected and other people will be trying to hack into your computer. Most P2P software can work through a software or hardware firewall, and if yours can't find one that can.

6. Bman

Most Bittorrent programs still work, they can't trace them as easy. Somebody asking about P2P programs should stick to P2P for now. Alot of P2P programs still work, but I have noticed some work on some computers and not on others.