Win2000 ICS Host / XP Pro Client

R

RobAnt

Trying very hard to get this working, but its simply not.

I cannot get my XP Pro to obtain an IP address from my 2000 Pro host. ICS seems to me to be properly set up on the 2000 pro machine, as another Windows 98Se PC has no problem.

If I assign an IP address manually on my XP Pro laptop, I can surf the internet using ICS hosted on the 2000 Pro PC for about 15 seconds, then it stops.

XP then decides (against my express wishes) that it would rather use diallup and prompts me to use one of its old dialup accounts.

Obviously, I don't want to delete these, it's a laptop and I might need to log into the internet from another location.

I can't install my ADSL card in my laptop, and I don't have another XP licence (even if I did, I don't know whether it would solve the problem).

I seem to have tracked the problem down to either the mini DHCP server in the 2000 pro machine, or the DHCP client in the XP Pro machine (probably the latter).

Anyone have any ideas how I progress further?

As I say, if I use a fixed IP I can get it to work for about 15 seconds, but that's it.

Cheers,

Set static ip addresses on all machines for the local area connection. Saves much headache.

Put them from 192.168.0.x pool, with subnet 255.255.255.0 and default gateway set to 192.168.0.1, which should be the address of the lan card on the windows 2000 box

Also, do ipconfig /all on the 2000 box from cmd.exe to find dns addresses, and put them like that on all clients.

Note: LAN NIC on 2000 should have only IP 192.168.0.1 and subnet 255.255.255.0 That's all. Nothing else on in, neither gateway (as it is the one by itself) neither DNS.

Good luck

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back