Win XP - Reinstall with new Mobo?

sammy5gs

Ignorance Defined
Hey Guys....

I am currently building a PC with a new mobo, and I currently have WinXP on my current IDD, which I was going to hook up in the new pc. Anywho, I was hoping to get your thoughts on the feasibility of installing a new mobo without re-installing WinXP? I heard a lot of bad things about not re-installing, but I have everything I want/need on my current IDD, that it would be a real pain if I have to reinstall XP, then all the apps, games I currently have on the IDD. The one thing I did hear was that if I eliminate the Enum Folder in the Registry (under Local Settings), that upon reboot Windows would automatically detect the new settings with the mobo.

Anywho, if it makes sense, I will definately reinstall, but just wanted your feedback. Your suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

You are goingto have to re-install eerything, from scratch, I had to do this ymself when I got my new motherboard a copule of months ago. Windows XP doesn't seem to like bening dropped in from 1 motherboard to another.

u could try it without reinstalling,but i would highly recomend reinstalling 2 be safe + save any problem's.

You can try but I found out the hard way, last week. Other posts indicated that 1st boot to XP after upgrade should be to the XP CD. Then choose REPAIR, not the first selection but after XP start up screen. This will give you an option to install a new copy or repair an existing one. The routine ran, but BSOD on reboot. Eventually, I reinstalled Windows over itself on the same partition. This adds a clean copy of XP but does not reformat or lose other folders. Obviously, all programs require a reinstall. If you save settings and docs a clean NTFS reformat is a better choice.

good luck.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back