Win XP PRO Install problems

• Thread starter mazspeed@redshi
  • Start date
M

mazspeed@redshi

Ok, I have a bit of a weird problem, but at this point I'm just going to forget about redoing my update. Here is what I did. I put the Win XP Pro update disk in as I sometimes do to sort of "refresh" my system up a bit. What happened is my system would hang at the same point during the reinstall. It would hang up at the "system rebooting phase" where it would hang up where the bars at the bottom say it's restarting and it does nothing. Ok, so it won't work right now, big deal, but now everytime I restart the system, it wants me to choose which location to go into, either the "Windows Pro, or Windows Pro setup. I want to get rid of the set up part. How do I do this?

Thanks again all for listing to me ramble :p

Cheers
Mike

edit your boot.ini

should look like this

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /FASTDETECT

an improperly cooled CPU can cause this as well, if you have moved the heatsink around in a past few days or whatever then you will need to remove it, the thermal paste, then apply new paste and replace the heatsink, for instructions search the threads there are a few about Thermal Paste

Hey Kermit, where is the boot.ini file at? I did a serch and it didn't come up with anything..

Thanks again

Cheers
Mike

its located in the root of your bootdisk, so it will be at c:\boot.ini its a hidden systemfile

Ok guys.. Here is my boot file.

[Boot Loader]
Timeout=5
Default=C:\$WIN_NT$.~BT\BOOTSECT.DAT
[Operating Systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

My harddrive is on "G" and not "C" like a normal one. I did the fix, and it still has a choice, only now the choice is "Windows Default" and "Windows Pro" I don't want to mess this up, and I needed to let you guys know my drive is a "G" and not a "C" if that makes any difference

Thanks again guys for your help..

Cheers
Mike

k, why is your xp boot drive G: ??? if it's a physically different HDD then u'll need to use a different drive mapping to locate it's boot data, like kermit, my boot.ini is like:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

to start with, set ur timeout value to 30 odd, otherwise u'll run to your keyboard tryin to select a different boot option with a cup of boiling coffee in ur hand, cos uve only got 5 secs to do it in. unless ur keyboard needs a wash that is....

the OS u've got in ur boot.ini is in the first partition of the first HDD, that is c:\ presumably, but how many OS's u got installed? just the one? the thing is, XP sorts the drives in a different order when ur lookin in my computer, u gotta look at the drive mapping of the drive, which is how the boot.ini refrences the drives.
take note:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
is equal to your c:\windows (1st HDD, 1st partition)

now if windows is installed on the second partition, and u wanna boot from there, do this:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
which is equal to d:\windows (1st HDD, 2nd partition)

if ur bootin from a second HDD, u need to change the drive number rather than the partition number:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS
equates to e:\windows, if this is the second disk in the system drive mapping, workin on the basis that this disk is after the two i wrote about above.

i need to know exactly why ur drive is G: drive.......
is it a second hard drive?
is it just G: in windows, but a partition on your HDD?

we gotta kno. sorry its such an arse. :rolleyes:

Hey Pazzer. I forgot to do the changing of the drive letters till it was to late. I have 2 hard drives but only use one and it's not partitioned at all. The other hard drive is just a backup for programs, files pictures that sort of thing. My back up funny enough is drive "C" and my normal bootup is drive "G". That's my little screw up, but I can live with it. I guess at this point I need something to just copy and paste to my boot.ini screen. I had the "5" put in for quicker boot times, and since it's not a partition it just boots a little quicker or so it seems. Is there any other info you need?

Thanks so much for your help, Ill be on the board all day and night..

Thanks again
Mike

well, it looks like what you need to do to fix this is to get rid of

C:\$WIN_NT$.~BT\BOOTSECT.DAT from the

Default=C:\$WIN_NT$.~BT\BOOTSECT.DAT line and replace it with:

Default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS

The fact that your showing C: under your default is leading me to believe that that is the setup prompt loading on your computer. You said before your drive is G:. If you do this change, you should not have the boot prompt anymore.

Hey bkrepfle, and everyone else, that was the fix.. You guys were great, thank you so much :happy:

Cheers
Mike

send us some money when ur rich. unless u allready are, in which case, email me immediatley!

lol

pazzer

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back