Win XP Prefetch Question

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by engel59, Mar 25, 2002.

1. engel59

engel59 Guest

In Waddy's Tip about "Windows XP Tweak - Prefetch" it says to delete all the contents in the C:\Windows\Prefetch directory. Does this also mean to delete the Layout.ini file as well? Will this file be recreated later?
  2. allan03

allan03 Guest

i'd prefer not delete anything......

first of all, dont delete anything, unless u really need the space. only delete the files that u know that have been a program. but those files are not even big, so dont bother.
  3. Detonator

Detonator OSNN Addict

Ummm....I deleted ALL of it.What happens when I reboot?
  4. max

max Guest

After a reboot enjoy the new system performance.

XP will get the NEW data and create a optimized boot up, also each application you use now will also be stored in prefetch.

Its all new now, not using programs and sequences from months ago when you first installed XP.

Out with the old and in with the new.
  5. Perris Calderon

Perris Calderon Moderator Staff Member Political User

new york
    prefetch refreshes itself, deleting prefetch serves no purpose, will probably slow you down for a couple of days, there is nothing in my prefetch ove rtwo weeks old, as I said, prefetch refreshes itself
  6. NeoXP

NeoXP Guest

I did this and now I am getting low virtual memory warnings....Is this related?? I deleted the whole folder and the next time I shut down and intermitently since it has given me the low virtual memory error. Any ideas......
  7. Perris Calderon

Perris Calderon Moderator Staff Member Political User

new york
    how is your paging file set? are you letting xp manage it? don't...set it yourself
  8. Sfumato

Sfumato Guest

Hey make sure you have Taskmanager enabled in services, other wise layout.ini will not get recreated.

Enable it and reboot, then run bootvis.
  9. GoNz0

GoNz0 NTFS Stoner

the year 2525
    i noticed 2 laggy boots while prefetch rebuilt... after that.......................... WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE..

it also fixed a problem with my old soundcard mixer popping up. so its a sweet little fix im gunna do every month.
  10. engel59

engel59 Guest

I don't see a Taskmanager in my Services.
    I went to <Settings> <Control Panel> <Administrative Tools> <Services>.
    I'm running Windows XP Home.