Win XP Prefetch Question

E

engel59

In Waddy's Tip about "Windows XP Tweak - Prefetch" it says to delete all the contents in the C:\Windows\Prefetch directory. Does this also mean to delete the Layout.ini file as well? Will this file be recreated later?

i'd prefer not delete anything......

first of all, dont delete anything, unless u really need the space. only delete the files that u know that have been uninstalled.....ie a program. but those files are not even big, so dont bother.

After a reboot enjoy the new system performance.

XP will get the NEW data and create a optimized boot up, also each application you use now will also be stored in prefetch.

Its all new now, not using programs and sequences from months ago when you first installed XP.

Out with the old and in with the new.

prefetch refreshes itself, deleting prefetch serves no purpose, will probably slow you down for a couple of days, there is nothing in my prefetch ove rtwo weeks old, as I said, prefetch refreshes itself

I did this and now I am getting low virtual memory warnings....Is this related?? I deleted the whole folder and the next time I shut down and intermitently since it has given me the low virtual memory error. Any ideas......

how is your paging file set? are you letting xp manage it? don't...set it yourself

Hey make sure you have Taskmanager enabled in services, other wise layout.ini will not get recreated.

Enable it and reboot, then run bootvis.

i noticed 2 laggy boots while prefetch rebuilt... after that.......................... WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE..

it also fixed a problem with my old soundcard mixer popping up. so its a sweet little fix im gunna do every month.

I don't see a Taskmanager in my Services.
I went to <Settings> <Control Panel> <Administrative Tools> <Services>.
I'm running Windows XP Home.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back