win xp keeps rebooting

K

krimson

Recently my pc just keeps rebooting for no reason. It started while I was playing Soldier of Fortune 2. I would get an error message saying that the game has performed an error and needed to shutdown. Then it progressed to rebooting. Now just about any task I do XP reboots. Copy files, reboot. Perform some task, reboot. It's driving me crazy! It has just started all of a sudden. Ihave not added any new programs or anything. Could it be an issue with some bad memory? Looking for any advice. Thanks.

My system
Windows XP pro
Athlon 1800+
Gigabyte 7VTXE mb
768 mb Crucial ddr
Volcano 7 hs w/arctic silver
Enermax ps 430 watt
Sony cd/dvd rom
Plextor cd burner
Seagate 'cuda 40 gb hd
IBM deskstar 40 gb hd
Leadtek geforce4 4600
Sound Blaster audigy mp3
CoolerMaster atc-101 sx4 alumn. case

Well thats the bulk of it.

Turn off "restart on system failure"

right click on My Computer => Properties => Advanced Tab => Setting under Startup and recovery => System Failure uncheck automaticly restart.

If the rebooting is caused by an error this will atleast let you know why it is rebooting. Then all you have to do is figure out where your error is.

O.K. I did that. Each error that I've gotten is different. There all stop errors, but the files or drivers are different. One is ntfs.sys, one is tcpip.sys and one was win32.sys. Could all these files be bad? I just used the recovery program that came in xp, so all those files should be o.k.? But still getting errors. Could a bad stick of memory cause this?

a friend of mine has the same error....over and over again the ntfs.sys error.....he thinks he has a damaged harddrive or something....could that be it?

Well I hope not. This is already the second hard drive. The Seagate I just put in about 3 months ago. The first one, an IBM, lasted about 5 months. I'm not sure why that one crashed, but if I recall I might have had a few reboots in a row just before that one died.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back