win xp installation question

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by jsesock, Nov 15, 2002.

1. jsesock

jsesock Guest

i have a little question that i hope somebody can help me out with. here it goes basicly i purchased win xp home edition a couple of months ago and i had to activate it and all that. but just recently my computer crashed. so for now i have installed win98. but i am wondering if i install win xp again is it gonna need to be activated again, will i be able to activate it again, what could i do? any tips or info would be helpful, thanks

2. chastity

chastity Moderator Political User

Welcome to Xp-erience.org. To answer your question yes you will have to activate XP again after you install it.

3. jsesock

jsesock Guest

ok thanks a lot, i was just thinking that maybe it wouldnt let me activate the same copy more than once or soemting.

4. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

There's a certain amount of times you can activate before having to actually phone up Microsoft isn't there?
    But until then you can just activate online.

5. chastity

Well there was something about that but I've not heard or seen anything more about it. The big thing is as long as its pretty much the same hardware as it was when you first activated it you shouldn't have any problems. Also you said it as been a couple of months since you first activated it so you should be able to activate again with no problems or at least in theory no problems.

6. jsesock

jsesock Guest

thanks everyone for the help

7. chastity

not a problem.

8. Fungiver

Fungiver Guest

Activation

I think I am safe in saying that there is no limitations to the number of times you can activate XP HE. As someone who is constantly testing the sytem to it's limits and beyond I have crashed or gotten the BSOD 16 times now. The latest being 4 days ago. I have had XP for over a year and have never run into any complications activating it time and again. Have fun.