Win XP in its own partition

A

afrodeziak

if you install windows xp into a seperate partition from programs, games, etc... and you want to reformat the win xp partition to re-install windows, will the programs you install on another partition show up under Add/Remove Programs after the reinstall?

damn..so that means you will have to reinstall your programs, games, etc... also?

I have this setup.

C: contains Windows XP with programs that are XP only.
D: contains all installed files which can be used on both Win XP and Win ME
G: contains Windows ME with programs that are ME only.

So both OSs share the same data in one partition. I've never had trouble with it.

Now I got a new HD, so I'll partition it into 3 partitions of 32 GB each. They'll be used for temp files and page file. :D

Okay - first, the 2-3 ms difference in access time will never be noticed by anyone - at least none of us. But it is always preferable to isolate the OS on its own partition for one primary reason (and several additional reasons):

Main Reason: If you ever have to reformat you only lose the OS, not the installed Apps.

Why, do you ask, does this matter since you have to reinstall the apps anyway? Here's why:

1) Some apps (admittedly few, but some) do not install in the registry so they won't have to be reinstalled

2) Many apps keep user preferences in their own folders. They will remain intact even after a reinstall.

3) By having apps in separate directories, you have a built in roadmap of what has to be reinstalled and where - no need to keep separate notes.

4) Data Files. If you don't separate your data files (and of course you should), keeping apps on separate partitions does this for you. So if you lose the boot drive you don't lose your data (and you are backing that data up regularly anyway I know, but still....;) ).

5) Good housekeeping. Easier to find stuff if you, not the Windows Installer, determine where it goes.

Yeah, MS says you'll take a minor performance hit in seek time if you use separate partitions. But as I said above I can guaranty it's nothing any of us would ever notice.

Okay, I always thought I knew what I was talking about but obviously I don't. I'll have to read more of your posts and hope to be able to learn from you.

Originally posted by catch23
and when the drive becomes defragmented...it gets worse

Isn't it a good thing when your drive is defragmented?

funny,...good to see you open_source, you too allan...I'll coment for those that didn't get it, it's obviously a typo, and catch meant fragged

ok, now, I'm definately not a proponent of partitions, unless you have two hard drives, and one of the reasons is that there is a performance issue...there will be a performance boost if the os is on the same partition as the apps, but, as allan says, I'm not sure the differance will be noticeable...then again, it does go to fine tuning the box

The system is generally accessing OS files fairly constantly, and if you have your apps in some other partition on the same HD, that will indeed result in longer seeks. And seek time absolutely dominates disk IO time (the actual transfer time is about 10% of the total time for a typical disk IO).

This concern goes away if you put OS and apps in separate partitions but on separate drives. That's BETTER than having them in the same partition as the os, and for the samereason...because it means you aren't moving the heads to go back and forth between OS files and app files. So, for best performance, yes, apps with the os, unless you have two hard drives.

let me point out again, though, I don't think anyone will notice the performance differance, but you might...if you partition for convienience, then my recommendation is to set it up for your convienience...

Having just done a clean install due to a hard drive crash, maybe I can bring something to the table.

It doesn't matter what sought of back up system you have when you suffer a major loss it's best to start a fresh - notice how each install always has little differences?

Anyway, a reason for having the OS seperate is to minimise file damage as much as possible, many games create temp and swap files when they load and play, these are removed when closed, I'd prefer to have this files creation and deletion kept away from my OS partition just in case.

Another issue which started this thread, if the 2 are split, OS one partition and apps the other AND you have a backup regeme in place that backs up your partitions, registry and system state - see XP Backup, then if you have a corrupt partition you can reload the OS and reload the saved backup and system state and it works - I have done it only this week.

That saved me reloading games and patches etc etc, you'll only get away with this if you back up a minimum of weekly.

One day we'll have an OS that doesn't crash!

previous statement about registry entries

umm... since i haven't been on the site recently. just to add to the part about people saying that some programs do need registry entries and would have to be reinstalled. some programs actually install a file which will add the stuff needed to the registry

I have set most of my programs/games up on another partition. If after formating xp they need a registry entry I just reload it. A lot of my stuff just goes again after a format which means less hassles reloading everything. Also docs, favourites etc are seperate also.

as I said, this is your convieice. and it's one of the reasons most people partition...

I still don't get it, I have all my files backed up, I just don't get this desire to partition...as far as registry entries that may stick...I'd rather they didn't stick, if I'm going to reformat, I want a clean reformat.

but to each his own box, and his own preferance, and this is your preferance...still you do need to know, there is definately a performance issue if the os is separate from the apps.

ok this is reply to original post not part of the debate LOL

If you Keep your registry backed up and its still fine you can do that keep a backup copy of your start menu folder and the reg file for your registery and you should be able to access over easily(I DID to be lazy and worked perfect) Also if at 1st you dont succeed REINSTALL OVER OLD ONE!! lol you will get all icons and reg entries back just m,ight have to update em over if need be
I have done the install over eachother when using multiboot why have same prog in 2 places when you can have it in one working just fine? lol

ok theres my dumbass comment
Everyone back to your debating

well, I don't thinkl there's a debate...it's not something that anyone disputes, there is a performance hit, if the apps are not on the same partition as the os...whether or not you'd notice the differance is not the point...the differance is so big, microsft recomends it.

The only real question is do you think it'sworth this minor performance issue, for the convienienve you percieve of partitions...I just don't see any convienince at all of partitions, but that doesn't mean anything, some people like em...and that's all that matters.

here's a perfect example...I like coolmon running at startup...it cost me a little in ram, and bootup time to have it...I don't care, I still have it...same thing with partitions, and what they are

well i have two hard drives:

DISK 0: C: 3.13GB D: 6.16GB E: 5.96GB F: 2.93GB G:3.29GB

DISK 1 L: 768MB M: 1.27GB O: 4.12GB P: 600MB Q: 3.12GB R: 2.09GB

I like it this way works great for me..........by the way if you have temp,programs,documents,etc on another partition its gonna pass a long time for C to need a defragg........just my tip....and yes its just pure conveinence!!!!

My disk structure: (Best of both worlds :p )

C: - 17,312 MB: Windows and apps
E: - 11,312 MB: Documents, mp3s, Backups, Downloads (and a Mandrake 8.2 Virtual machine)

I don't have to worry about losing all the stuff on E: when I format. Installing apps doesn't take that long. :)

Perhaps I'm just being kind to myself, but I think I am moderately knowledgeable about computing. And I know lots of people who make me look like a novice. Neither I, nor any of the highly technical and highly knowledgeable people I know would consider running without partitons.

The people with whom I deal on a day to day basis in real life (my "paying" job) are CIO's and their staffs. We've had many conversations over the years and again I cannot think of one person in the know who does not partition his or her disks or have multiple drives. Not one.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back