Win XP Home Admin Tools missing

M

melliott1963

I'm running Windows XP Home edition and I noticed that when I went into Control Panel / Administrative Tools, there is nothing in there (I was particularly looking for the services icon). Now I know that I can also access the Services from Computer Management, but is this right that there is nothing under Administrative Tools within the Control Panel, and if not, how do I get the icons installed?

Thanks for any help.

Are you using "Power Toys" for Windowz XP???

If yes, did you uncheck any of the "Control Panel Extentions" under "Tweak UI"???

And what exactly do you mean, "there is nothing in there".

I'll check when I get home to see if I have unchecked anything under TweakUI (can't remember if I've even installed it or not!).

When I say 'there is nothing in there', I mean just that, there are no icons, just a blank window.

Just as an aside, I am an administrator on the system.

I had a similar problem once after using a registry cleaner. You can try to rebuild the icons in contralpanel/administrative tools one by one by rightclicking - new - shortcut and insert the following commands:
Component Services
%SystemRoot%\system32\Com\comexp.msc
Computer Management
%SystemRoot%\system32\compmgmt.msc /s
Services
%SystemRoot%\system32\services.msc /s
Event Viewer
%SystemRoot%\system32\eventvwr.msc /s
Performance
%SystemRoot%\system32\perfmon.msc /s
Data Sources
%SystemRoot%\system32\odbcad32.exe

Well that explains what happened to mine. Any idea what reg cleaner did the damage?

I used jv16 powertools. Strangely restoring the backups made by the program didn't repair the damage. Been very reluctant in using regcleaners since then.

I use 3 or 4. When I add the shortcuts (thanx yoyo) I'll try one at a time & see who the offender is & try & see what has to be ignored.

You need to log-on as an Administrator in the Home edition to access these tools.

Be aware also that in XP Home there are two types of Administrator, one (the governor) can only be accessed from safe mode. You are the other which you created when you installed XP (hopefully).

Interesting, I used jv16 to remove some left over entries from an un-install. My Administative Tools are now in the start menu (were they always there?).

My start menu was never affected. (that's where they always are) Gus K have a look in the control panel & click 'administrative tools'. Is any thing in there or is it empty? Also try start/run & type services. What happens? On mine nothing happens which I assume was caused by the reg cleaner.

ps Following yoyo's shorcuts my control panel now is back to normal.

Hi, I have been using JV16 for months and months and have never had any trouble. I have been using the latest beta most of the time.

He has now stopped developing this version and has started on a new numbering system, the first one has only just come out. Peace Mal

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back