Win XP displaying network

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by dreamworks, Apr 7, 2004.

1. dreamworks

dreamworks --== babyface ==--

Win XP

Dear friends,

In my network, I have 10 units of PC running on Win98SE and 10 units of PC running on Win XP Pro.

The problem is, on Win 98SE PCs, I can double click on network neighbourhood and alll the PCs on the network will appear almost instantly. However, if I do this on Win XP Pro machines, it would need to take a while, sometimes quite a while before all the PCs appear on the screen.

Any idea why and how do I rectify this problem please? Many thanks!

Appreciate any fast feedback.

2. Admiral Michael

Admiral Michael Michaelsoft Systems CEO Folding Team

I have a similiar problem, (network of 5) where the computers would show sometimes and not shiw others. I setup a WINS server, hoping to possibly remedy the problem but its no go. Still have yet to find a solution.

3. dreamworks

dreamworks --== babyface ==--

Do you think it has anything to do with the "Master Browser" feature? I mean .. if I remember correctly, Win XP's method of handling network operations and Win 98SE is quite different right?

I am not sure if setting only 1 PC to be the Master Browser instead of all would make any difference?

Pls do advise if you find out anything .. many thanks ! :D

4. Admiral Michael

Admiral Michael Michaelsoft Systems CEO Folding Team

I havent found nething yet, but what I did do it this:

Under C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Nethood

I made shortcuts to each of my computers. I would like fix the prob but until then this is a temp solution.

To your slowness, try this:

http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/913/

5. silis

silis The bum.