Win 98

Tittles

Dabba Dooba
Political Access
Hello

I am trying to reinstall windows 98 for someone

There floppy drive is broke and I dont have one in my computer but I made one at school but I didnt know the drive didnt work till I tried to use the bootdisk I made.

I tried making a bootdisk cd but the computer only has one cd drive and you cant take the bootdisk cd out and put the 98 cd in.

I was wondering what I could do? I was wondering if there is a way to make 98 bootable or some other way to boot to the 98 install.

find someone with an original win98 disk.

Failing that bink.nu has an article somewhere on making bootable windows cd's

Win98 on floppies?
The win98 cd is bootable, can't you use that one?

buy a cheapo fdd :D or... can't a pc be booted up through a usb hd? i dont' see why a flashdrive wouldn't work...

Techno Child said:
buy a cheapo fdd :D or... can't a pc be booted up through a usb hd? i dont' see why a flashdrive wouldn't work...
yeah, but never figure out how to do that, and i tried googling it HMM:suprised:

Windows 98 was bootable, but it didn't include CD-ROM drivers. Without a floppy to boot and load CD-ROM drivers, it will be an issue. I think it was something like OAKCDROM.SYS or something, but I can't remember.

Another method of making a bootable CD would be this -

Hook the Hard Drive up to another PC as a slave or through an enclosure, if you have that option. On the soon to be Windows 98 hard drive, create a folder in the root of C: called win98. This can be done from a command line like this....

Change to X: (X is the letter that your PC assignes to the slaved drive)
From X: at CMD prompt, type this : md win98
Before proceeding, type "cd win98" - this puts you into that directory on that volume
From the CMD prompt, change to the drive that has the windows 98 cd in it
Once in that drive, let's call it Z, type "cd win98" - this puts you into that directory.
Type copy *.* to X: (again, X is the drive letter for the spare drive) and hit enter

This will copy all the install files to the hard drive of the soon to be 98 machine. When the hard drive is back in it, navigate to C:\win98 and run setup.exe

of course, you will still need a boot disk to get to that point, but that saves you needing to make a bootable CD

Take the FDD out of your main machine for the time being :)

That wouldn't work though, as you can't eject the CD and then switch to another to pickup the installation.

Unless there is more than one drive on the PC, which I believe there is not.

kcnychief said:
That wouldn't work though, as you can't eject the CD and then switch to another to pickup the installation.

Unless there is more than one drive on the PC, which I believe there is not.

I meant use the boot CD to format, reboot and swap for Win98 CD and boot from that next.

technokid88 said:
hmm i think that person needs an upgrade
Might not be an option for them atm due to cost or lack of knowledge regarding XP. Some people can still get by with 98.

Although, security patches and support will halt on July 11th, 2006 for 98/ME

Thanks for all the replays

Comes down to it the motherboard is bad. I told them that I could look and get another one but its pointless for a computer like this or I could help you get a cheap deal for like $400.

Not sure what they are gonna do yet. I just gotta bring it back over whenever I have time which I will this weekend since I live a road over lol

I think they should atleast get cheap dell since they dont use the internet and only play card games,use that card creator program and thats about it really.

I only charged them $10 even tho I said I wont charge cause I really didnt do anything but they insisted so I just said $10.

What was the initial problem that made you think the mobo is gone? I thought u just needed to format?

Tittles said:
Thanks for all the replays

Comes down to it the motherboard is bad. I told them that I could look and get another one but its pointless for a computer like this or I could help you get a cheap deal for like $400.

Not sure what they are gonna do yet. I just gotta bring it back over whenever I have time which I will this weekend since I live a road over lol

I think they should atleast get cheap dell since they dont use the internet and only play card games,use that card creator program and thats about it really.

I only charged them $10 even tho I said I wont charge cause I really didnt do anything but they insisted so I just said $10.
If you don't want the $10, send it to me. I accept paypal :p

Admiral Michael said:
What was the initial problem that made you think the mobo is gone? I thought u just needed to format?

Well I was reading online about what could be the reason and thats the only thing left.

I am going to try to get my hands on a floppy from a buddy before I bring there computer back so I can see if reinstalling windows fixes the problem.

Otherwise it is the mobo cause its not the ram or the modem. Only thing left is the mobo if I can't get it to work.

They are still better off getting a new computer. 500mhz is not something that should be around anymore :laugh:

I have a 500mhz test box with 512mb of ram - still gets the job done for what I throw at it :)

kcnychief said:
I have a 500mhz test box with 512mb of ram - still gets the job done for what I throw at it :)

500mhz with 64mb of ram

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back