win 98 networking

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by seperatist, Jul 30, 2003.

1. seperatist

seperatist OSNN Senior Addict

i am having trouble with my friends computer. when it starts up before i get to windows it tells me these files are missing; vnetsup.vxd, vredir.vxd and dfs.vxd. it says there are missing. also when windows starts up before the music starts i get this error; Windows Networking missing file msnp32.dll.

can anyone help?

thanks

2. jonifen

jonifen pffff...

sounds like the networking stuff has become partially uninstalled. does the internet work ok? or is your friend not on the internet?

I fixed this once, but I cant remember offhand how I managed it, so I'm not much use at the minute lol.

If your friend has a network card in his machine, try uninstalling it and reinstalling it - that may reinstall the networking stuff again therefore replacing the missing or corrupt files.

3. Petros

Petros Thief IV

Try going into the control panel under network settings (I honestly can't remember what it's called under Windows 98). Note which protocols (TCP/IP, etc.) and clients (Client for Microsoft Networks) are installed. Uninstall them, restart the computer, and reinstall them. Hopefully that should help.