Win 7 Freezes on Install

buzzstpoint

Computervitals.com
Political Access
Can't seem to get Win7 installed on this..
Just got my tigerdirect order in.
Upgrading a PC

Athlon XP 1.6ghz
1 gig ram (new)
Dvd-rw (new)
160 gig hard drive (New)
Windows 7 Home Premium OEM (New)

1st couple of try's I got it to get to 65% of expanding files then froze.
Now it wont even get that far. I get the "Install Now" button and then it freezes or it will only get to "Starting Installation" then freeze

I pulled all extra components and devices not needed for computer operation. Any Ideas on what I should do from here?

Edit.................................

Looks like I got it to install.
I tried the BIOS. Set to safe default, No go.. Then tried Optimized defaults, Still nothing.
Then I started tweaking and I think I found the issue.
I set the memory setting from Automatic to 133/133/33

Been about 40 minutes and it seems to be finished. I'm at the desktop getting drivers now.

Last edited:
run a memory test. you could also check memory voltage is correct. Mine was wrong for god knows how long since I fixed it my pc stopped hanging on me :)

Soon as I find drivers for the machine. Hard to find Win 7 drivers for an ECS K7SEM motherboard. Unless you know where to get them? Manufacturer is a no go.. Just Windows xp

Could the memory be bad right form the package? I just purchased the 2 sticks and started the machine.

Ran memtest today.. All good there. Also ran a check on the new hard drive. Didn't see any errors..

Just to check it out... I went back into the BIOS and set the memory back to the Automatic. Sure enough.. Locked up on boot.. So I just put it back. Boots fine...

The best bet for getting drivers for any motherboard is to go the manufacturer of the chipset used on the motherboard, not the manufacturer of the motherboard itself. It looks like it's made by SiS. Go to Support > and checkmark the "I accept" box and click to proceed with a online scan that tells you which SiS chipset is used on the motherboard. By the details on ECS' website it looks like it's the 630 which unfortunately SiS doesn't look like it posts any drivers for the 630 for Windows 7 or Vista (which would probably work under 7 as well).

Are there features of your motherboard that don't have any driver installed at all, meaning that Windows 7 doesn't come with compatible drivers already? If so, which features? If you can give details of exactly which components are missing drivers (go in the Device Manager if necessary), maybe we can find some kind of solution.

remove the memory sticks, clean the slots and reset the memory, i had that issue before where there was some dust in the slots and so the memory wasn't connecting properly

Are there features of your motherboard that don't have any driver installed at all, meaning that Windows 7 doesn't come with compatible drivers already? If so, which features? If you can give details of exactly which components are missing drivers (go in the Device Manager if necessary), maybe we can find some kind of solution.

Right off the bat, there devices like, Network, video, Modem, Wireless PCI, and onboard sound didn't install from the disk.. The hard part was getting online..
I purchased a linksys gigabit card and seen a post that to use on Win 7 to install as a realtek. I was able to do this and get the windows update from there.
WinUpdate installed all drivers except the sound card. I was able to use the drivers from the main board. Win 7 accpeted the xp driver affter I forced it but couldn't start it. Then another windows update and it seen teh sound card and installed.

So far all devices are installed and working correctly. I left the memory settings at 133/133/33 . This is the only setting that it wont lock up on..

I have another thread that is causing an error on boot up. Made a new thread for that one.

I bet on that old hardware your experience score is pretty low. :laugh:

I like how on my Windows 7 installation, it gives a 7.1 for my RAM and 7.3 for both graphics categories. This is out of a maximum 7.9! I don't have anywhere near the top speed of either of these, just the best bang for the buck (see my setup in my signature below). Shirley by the time the end of life for Windows 7 comes around, all new computers will max these out right out of the box. :p (No, and don't call me Shirley).

core i7, ddr3, hd5870 and solid state disk and you'd max them all out :)

To be honest, i didn't want to upgrade this PC, It's a friends from work. For an extra 100 she could have had a bare bones PC with what I already bought and had a machine that was 3 times bigger.

But shes the one paying, so I do what I'm told with that.

As for scores. I;m not sure. But I thought I remember seeing the experience at or about 2.3. Which isn't good, but you also have to look at what she uses the computer for. A little music playing, email, internet and the occasional word document.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back