Will XP patch slow down my PC?

q12368c

OSNN Addict
I am using a old PC which is 650MHz
If I installed XP and install all patch before SP2. Will it slow down my PC?

MS say that a 300mhz processor and 128 meg of ram is enough to run WinXP.

I would recommend an absolute minimum of 256 meg of ram to run winXP...your processor is fast enough.

service pack 2 shouldn't make a difference to the "speed" that winXP operates...

but it's very slow after I install all the patch.
my PC is 256MB RAM.

Can you get more memory? Sp2 will not make much difference I don't think.

I am using a old PC which is 650MHz
If I installed XP and install all patch before SP2. Will it slow down my PC?

If you install XP at all, you are doing yourself more harm than good if you DON'T install SP2. The security features and benefits you will be getting outweigh any potential performance decreases. If you want to run XP on this system, I would suggest getting more RAM. If you have 256MB, you will see a huge difference by upgrading to 512MB.

MS say that a 300mhz processor and 128 meg of ram is enough to run WinXP.

I would recommend an absolute minimum of 256 meg of ram to run winXP...your processor is fast enough.

service pack 2 shouldn't make a difference to the "speed" that winXP operates...

XP actually only requires a 233MHz CPU

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/evaluation/sysreqs.mspx

:)

ahh..sorry for splitting hairs...you can see where i got my figure from...I was quoting recommended (128meg ram and 300mHz)..not bare minimum (which is 64 meg ram and 233mHz) ...!! Not that it makes much difference.

Here's What You Need to Use Windows XP Professional

•PC with 300 megahertz or higher processor clock speed recommended; 233 MHz minimum required (single or dual processor system);* Intel Pentium/Celeron family, or AMD K6/Athlon/Duron family, or compatible processor recommended

•128 megabytes (MB) of RAM or higher recommended (64 MB minimum supported; may limit performance and some features)

Can't myself understand why applying an important service pack would slow down your machine.

Even when I installed the first beta SP2 my maching got faster; It got even faster when I applied the final SP2 service pack.

Maybe a good clean out of your system before applying the service pack might help.

May be referring to some issues which could be caused by patches, such as the random HelpSvc.exe issues.

Hard to tell without trying - SP2 is also notorious for slowing down machines a little. But all it usually takes is a defrag since the extraction/installation is a bit intense sometimes.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back