Will This Work...

Why do I need Crossfire, didn't I go through this with someone already??

You would need a CrossFire compatible motherboard.

You must have one CrossFire edition X1800 or X1900 card and one regular X1800 or X1900 to match.

im not trying to argue with you im just trying to help you get the best deal. and i think you would thatnk yourself in the future when you want more graphics power and you can just buy another card and be good. but whatever

Personally B, he has a point. Since you are big into games you should think about going NVIDIA and using SLI.

I was expecting this, SLI is dual videocards right? or am I wrong

Yes. Designed for gamers. Matching 6800 or 7800 cards (soon 7900).

The best part is that you can have up to four flat panels (or two 30" Dell UltraSharp's).

Yes, SLI is for gamers... but you need to have nvidia video cards. They need to match in model as well.

I think you should go with Nvidia for many reasons.. but mainly for the superior SLI dual card solution compared to crossfire.

Being an ATI fan and someone who has always used ATI and even though I must agree with Aprox. The fact is that ATI's dual card solution sucks. It uses up a DVI port to connect the CrossFire config. So what you are left with is a dual DVI setup compared to NVIDIA's four DVI setup.

So if I go with dual video card, does my motherboard I have picked out support all that...also which video cards should I use to do so?

You would have to buy an SLI compatible motherboard and PSU (at least 500W -- it will say if it is SLI compatible).

What it boils down to is two PCIe x16 slots.

Yes, the motherboard you have picked out will work in SLI mode with two Nvidia video cards.

As far as what cards to get.. if money is no object then just get two 7800 GTX 512MB. But I would wait... and get the 7900 GTX which might be available in 1024mb (overkill!)

However, a more resonable purchase would be a 7800 GT (7900 GT if you wait)

Great, so I don't have to change my motherboard, and I'm most likely going to wait for the 7900 GT to come out. How long do you think that will take?

Also, I have a 600 Powersupply, which is SLI ready

The new 7900 series is schedualed to launch early next month (march).. So I guess in the next week or two. Not sure on prices yet, but rumour had it that they would be cloesly matched in price to the 7800's if not cheaper.

So when ever this computer is bought and built, going to have to make sure I have enough fans or cooling systems. Cause man, thats alot of crap inside a case lol

Just make sure you do a good job at cable managment, and yeah invest in some nice fans and a nice case.

That is one heck of a case... too bad nobody makes a smaller case that looks and functions like that.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back