will this work...

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by mike09, Dec 28, 2003.

1. mike09

mike09 Moderator

will this work with any standard hard drive from the store like a regualr ata/133 internal drive. sorry for the stupid question but i had to make sure before i send out my payment and buy a drive. thanks in advance.

2. ming

ming OSNN Advanced

it's just a HD enclosure for any existing internal HDs you may have and want to use it as an external one.
    it says that it supports upto ATA133 so I can't see what problems you may have apart from the fact that this particular item you're looking at is for Firewire (IEEE1394) connection. Do you have any Firewire ports available to connect this to?

3. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

Looks ok. I found one article. You will not be able to use this case with HD over 128 gig unless they are Maxtor. The chipset on the firewire does not support them accoring to the article.

The company that makes them is British and looks legit.

http://www.amug.org/amug-web/html/amug/reviews/articles/WD180GB/

Advertisements I saw said it supports up to 300 gig but they were advertisements...

4. mike09

mike09 Moderator

damn, if thats true then im lucky becasue i almost bnought a 160gb western digital at best buy for $90.guess ill just use a 120gb then. thanks a lot for the replies so quickly.

5. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

Check out the usb 2.0 enclosures. They looked less expensive, but will also be slower.

6. mike09

mike09 Moderator

so this will sit fine in the enclosure right? i just want to make sure or my dad will get pissed.
    im getting firewire because it is faster.
    just a question tho, can a Mac read a drive that formated in NTFS? so my brother can use it.

7. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

Depends on the Mac I guess, if it's running OSX I guess it could since normal *nix can, but if it's an older Mac I really doubt it.