Widget engines for the Linux platform

binoyxj

PrOuD InDiAn
A widget is a small pretty looking self contained program that runs on the desktop and performs a specific function.Widgets require a platform to run and there are several available for both Windows and Linux.

1. Screenlets: Probably the best looking widget platform available for Linux. The widgets are cute and very similar to those offered by Yahoo and Apple.

2. SuperKaramba: One of the most popular widget engines for the KDE desktop. The widgets are referred to as themes. There are plenty to download at kdelook.org

3. gDesklets: Another very nice looking widget engine. gDesklets is not restricted to one desktop environment, but currently works on most of the modern Unix desktops (including GNOME, KDE, Xfce). The support for a wide variety of desktop enviroment is a very helpful feature of gDesklets.

4. aDesklets: adesklets is an interactive Imlib2 console for the X Window System. It provides to scripted languages a clean and simple way to write great looking, mildly interactive desktop integrated graphic applets. The collection isn't that great and won't find variety, but desklets for popular tasks are available.

5. Moonlight Desklets: Moonlight is Novell's nascent open-source implementation of Microsoft's Silverlight framework for rapid, rich media application development. This is a relatively new engine so not many widgets are available. But they have some really nice looking widgets nonetheless.

6. Opera widgets: Opera widgets run on top of the Opera browser (version 9 and above), the only browser that supports widgets. There are more than a thousand Opera widgets available. I already wrote about some useful Opera widgets before.

7. Jackfield: Jackfield isn't actually a widget engine. It's an application for the Gnome desktop that can run widgets of other popular platforms like Yahoo, Apple, Microsoft Vista Sidebar and Opera. If you use this application you get access to thousands of widgets from all the 4 platforms!!

Attachments

• 600px-Zerofour.png
    600px-Zerofour.png
    163.9 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:
I like screenlets the best on my Ubuntu system. Plus you can get a screenlet called Widgetizer which lets you put any html you want on your screen, similar to the way Active Desktop works in Windows.

I use it to put up my pictures of my kids on my desktop and other interesting html pages like news feeds, and google gadgets. etc. I think. I remember i had to make a few tweaks to get it to work the way I wanted though.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back