Widescreen LCD specs

lancer

There is no answer!
Political Access
are these good specs for a widescreen lcd or any lcd for that matter, and if not what should i be looking for.

Brightness: 300 cd/m2
Contrast Ratio: 500:1
Display Colours: 16.7 Million
Display Type: WXGA+
Horizontal Fresh Rate: 24-80 kHz
Maximum Resolution: 1440x900
Panel: Active Matrix, TFT LCD
Recommended Resolution: 1440x900
Vertical Fresh Rate: 50-75 Hz
Viewing Angle: 150°(H) / 130°(V)

I'm lovin' my new NEC!

Brightness: 400 cd/m2
Contrast Ratio: 1000:1
Response Time: 6ms (If you're a gamer, this is most important! The lower the better!)
Maximum Resolution: 1600X1200 (native)
Recommended Resolution: 1600X1200

are these good specs for a widescreen lcd or any lcd for that matter, and if not what should i be looking for.

Brightness: 300 cd/m2
Contrast Ratio: 500:1
Display Colours: 16.7 Million
Display Type: WXGA+
Horizontal Fresh Rate: 24-80 kHz
Maximum Resolution: 1440x900
Recommended Resolution: 1440x900
Vertical Fresh Rate: 50-75 Hz
Viewing Angle: 150°(H) / 130°(V)
Seem quite average. What's the response time?

Also that's quite a small resolution for a widescreen panel, what size is it ?

I'm lovin' my new NEC!

Brightness: 400 cd/m2
Contrast Ratio: 1000:1
Response Time: 6ms (If you're a gamer, this is most important! The lower the better!)
Maximum Resolution: 1600X1200 (native)
Recommended Resolution: 1600X1200

He's asking about widescreen, not 4:3 :)

it was a 17" widescreen i believe. it was a cheap one n newegg, didn't specify the response time.

So as a gamer wanting a widescreen lcd, what specs should i be looking for?

Thanks

I would suggest using the following as a guide:

1.) Low reponse time (<= 6ms)
2.) High Contrast Ratio
3.) High Brightness
4.) As high of a resolution as your graphics card can handle
5.) DVI

Why do you want a widescreen? You can get a better gaming monitor in 4:3 . . .

I think gaming in widescreen is a better experience.

but thanks for the advice.

IMO, 6ms for response time is a bit overkill. The human eye can't really differentiate much less than a 12-16ms response time, and the difference between that range and 6ms in cost I believe is substantial.

this is interesting news, can anyone else corroborate this?

Thanks kc

6ms is way overkill for the average person. I'd highly recommend finding the oldest, slowest LCD you can and playing a game on it. I've happily used LCDs with over 30ms response time and noticed nothing that would put me off using it again.

Most LCD's thse days offer a nice time under or equal to 16ms though, so it's not a lot to worry about, I only enquired regarding the response time to see if you were going to be getting a relatively new panel or not.

Also, on Widescreen gaming, I refuse to even use a 4:3 these days. Widescreen is most definitely the future :)

thats my thinking speedy, plus matts desktops are just to god damn awesome....

yeah.... widescreen certainly is MUCH different. i went from a 17" LCD to a 21" HD Widescreen LCD..... and usually 20 and 21 inch widescreens are considered a 17" monitor that's been stretched..... but my god is it huge compared to the last monitor.

how much are you looking to spend on a monitor? that'd give us a better idea of what to suggest. my widescreen cost me $600

i'm being cheap looking at $300 max, maybe more in a fit of carelessness.

Haven't dell got any offerings at/under the $300 range? (With all their coupon deals)

I've got the 2405FPW, and it's amazing :D I know that is a bit above your price-range, but as someone who has used widescreen and non-widescreen, definitely go with widescreen, you won't regret it :)

Another thing to keep in mind as well is how much web-browsing/word processing you do. I know the Widescreen look is all the rage (I love it), but if you primarily browse the web or work on documents, you'll start to miss the extra vertical resolution from a standard aspect display. Similar to why books are taller than they are wide, your eye can only track so far across a line.

this is interesting news, can anyone else corroborate this?

Thanks kc

Elaborated..

And yes, I am drunk out of my mind as I will be all weekend: D

But its elaborated.

kcnychief;730794 but if you primarily browse the web or work on documents said:
Well you can look at two pages instead of one though :p

Well you can look at two pages instead of one though :p
Precisely, and if height is really that much of an issue, then you either buy the biggest screen you can get, or just twist the damned thing round so you've got an uner-tall screen rather than wide :p

speedy's right about that. especially the "uner"-tall part. lol. my god do widescreen LCD's look freaky as all holy hell when they're in portrait mode. makes it seem like your LCD just got an instant upgrade.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back