Why won't a Dell Setup OS Disc does not work with other boards???

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by percy, Mar 4, 2005.

1. percy

percy OSNN Senior Addict

Hi. Can anybody explain why a Dell setup disc that came with my Dell desktop can't be used with a generic (like Asus board or customized setup)? Why? Thanks.

2. VenomXt

VenomXt Blame me for the RAZR's Folding Team

its dell hardware. ie drivers in it are for a dell board. Its tailored for dell.......

3. percy

percy OSNN Senior Addict

OIC. tnx.

4. VenomXt

np hope i explained it well enough for you. :)

5. Tuffgong4

Tuffgong4 The Donger Need Food!!!! Political User

one of my old dell home xp discs worked perfectly on my friends ancient computer...he lost his disc but had his own key from the system...that's weird it won't work for you unless they changed their discs recently

6. VenomXt

"ike Asus board or customized setup"
    let me rephrase myself. It might work on another dell. but i have had no luck using a install on a non dell machine.

7. percy

percy OSNN Senior Addict

i haven't actually tried to install it on my customized desktop since i have another cd. just curious. :)

8. Liam2198

Liam2198 OSNN Junior Addict

I don't know about Dell but I believe Compaq also looked for things to make sure it was a Compaq computer. I was able to find a workaround for this when a friend of mine had me build him a computer and I used his old Compaq install cd. Of course, after all the trouble I went through trying to get it to install he went out and got Winxp for it.

9. j79zlr

j79zlr Glaanies script monkey Political User

Possibly not an install disc, but an image made to work with your hardware? I know my friends Vaio doesn't have an actual XP disc, but a "restore cd" that just restores an image of the PC at the time it was shipped.

10. Johnny

Johnny .. Commodore .. Political User

A restore cd is nothing more than an image. The way the dell cd is, is that it is a OEM cd. It is the OEM OS, it has the key for dell already in it when you install it. If you can find where the key is housed you may be able to change it .. It does look for hardware and such to see if it is a dell machine before it installs. I think there is also some type of stamp in the bios that tells it what it is ..

11. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

Dell ships an OEM Windows XP CD with your machine rather than a restore disc. It's been that way for at least the last 2 years.

The OEM license allows you to use the OS only on the computer that it was shipped with. Even if you do find a workaround and install it on another machine, you will be running it illegally.