Why the MS hatred??

Originally posted by Enyo
Geffy, I agree the commercial products are highly priced but i don't think software targeted for home users is unreasonable.

I'd like to know how you figure that. Windows XP Home Edition is $200 alone, while Profession is $300, and $200 for just an update. Windows 2000 Professional is also $300.. If you call that reasonable, you must be loaded.

Not to mention that is only for 1 computer, and one computer only, becuase of XP activation. For the price you pay, you should be LEGALLY allowed to install it on all the machines you own. Considering the price of Windows, Linux is going to eventually take over part of the desktop market, beleive it or not.

I bought XP Home for my parents for £77, full version, fully legal.

I feel that paying the cost of an OS is acceptable, you will be using it all the time.
Paying for Office Pro so that you can get Access so you can do databases is too much, and also its hard to find Office 2000 or something like that. I think MS should reduce the prices of Previous versions of software after the new one is availble instead of ceasing to ship it out. In shops now you can only get OfficeXP, you cant find Office2000

Open Office is good enough for me. Paying those prices for OSs is crazy.. thats why I am glad mine just came with my computer. I'll be doing a full switch to Gentoo Linux soon.. so, ya know.

I just dont like their dominance and lack of compliance with standards

...lack of compliance with standards? Don't you mean Apple? 90% basically sets standards, right? Tell me where they lack in compliance... Compliance with what? Software (that changes every single day...) Hardware (that does the same...) What exactly do you mean? You hate their dominance, huh? I'm taking a guess, but... you are still a teenager and you hate authority, right? I may be wrong...

I think MS should reduce the prices of Previous versions of software after the new one is availble instead of ceasing to ship it out

By doing this you would only INCREASE the cost... More copies of old software means more support. More support means more problems which means more support staff which means more money. Ford doesn't continue to sell their current year Mustang once a new model comes out (well, for a couple months... but you get the point...), so why not pick on them? BTW.. you can purchase Access as a stand alone product.

its an amazing company.. without it I wouldn't be typing using a MS Internet Explorer now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back