Why not like linux...

N

Not Bman

Might be dum question, I don't know.....but why doesn't windows look as Clean and smooth and clear as Linux does?

Bman™ said:
Might be dum question, I don't know.....but why doesn't windows look as Clean and smooth and clear as Linux does?

Because the icons are from Windows 3.1 ;P

Did you have ClearType turned on in Windows?

Last edited:
Because Linux constantly evolves, XP is from 2002. Hell, the only real difference between XP and 2000 is ClearType and the TeleTubbies interface.

I'm not just talking about the font/text. I mean everything, it just looks so uh different, amazinly smooth and I don't know how to describe it.

Do you know what I'm talking about?

Maybe you don't have a lot of apps installed so it just feels smoother. Although I don't doubt that it probably uses your RAM in a better way.

I know what you are talking about, I use Gentoo as my everyday desktop. The only time I boot into Windows is if I have to do some AutoCAD for work.

Smooth in the look way, not in speed way....it's hard to explain....I dunno, maybe when Vista comes out, i'll get the same feeling.

If you can't explain it, how are we supposed to state our opinions on whatever we're supposed to be talking about? :D :p

I think that it's been nailed on the head though by j79zlr, XP is nearly 4 years old, where-as Linux - dependant on the distro - is being actively maintained, tweaked, and most importantly, put in the hands of the public, nearly every day.

The users themselves control how linux looks, Microsoft have a tighter reign on the way Windows works, looks and runs, even if suggestions via their users are taken, there are far too many people to satisfy (around 90% of all computer users on the entire planet!) therefore someone out there may think that linux looks like the back end of a giraffe, and Windows XP is rather pretty.

Either way, all it comes down to is opinion, and we all know what opinion is like ;)

Vista will be as smooth as the other side of the pillow :D

and in 2008 when its released I might have the hardware required for it!

SPeedY_B said:
Not from what I've seen and used.

Have you gotten the build that came out yet today? It's quite amazing :eek:

j79zlr said:
and in 2008 when its released I might have the hardware required for it!

It will be out end of year, you can take that to the bank!

It really depends. Personally, I think Gnome, which is what Ubuntu uses by default, looks pretty nice. It has clean lines, a good color scheme and looks nice and professional overall. KDE, on the other hand, which many other Linux distros use still looks like it was designed by pre-schoolers for pre-schoolers. I just find it very tacky, even though it may very well be "constantly evolving."

On the other side, I'm not a big fan of Luna (especially the blue scheme). Energy Blue (also known as Royale sometimes), on the other hand, although very similar to Luna in terms of the basic structure, is much more pleasing in terms of colors. And with the skinning community that's been built around XP's theming engine, you can make it look really nice too.

Another thing to consider is the fact that you've been using XP for several years now and have just started using Ubuntu. It is possible that you find the Ubuntu look-and-feel more pleasing simply because you're bored of XP's UI after using it for so long. That tends to happen very often. A two year old gadget (cellphone, mp3 player etc.) simply doesn't get you as excited now as it did the first time you used it. I remember the kind of buzz the XP UI generated back in 2001, simply because it was so different from the earlier "battleship grey" look. Just the fact that it was different made people like it, at least while it was still brand new.

Last edited:
Netryder, you just made all the sense in the world. I guess that's it, just bored of Windows UI, I have been using windows for ummm I don't know how friggin long now. I have used Linux before, a year ago I tryed Redhat, but yea I of course went back to Windows. Now Ubuntu, I just love it.

Thanks everybody

Well he did say "end of year". He didn't say what year. :rolleyes: :p

kcnychief said:
Have you gotten the build that came out yet today? It's quite amazing :eek:

It will be out end of year, you can take that to the bank!

Be careful when you make statements like this about products Microsoft is making :p

Linux is so nice and smooth because it uses transparency/higher res graphics and if it didn't look so good then hardly anybody would use it... Graphics wise/ that is what seperates linux/mac from crappy sadly more compatible windows....

I cant like Linux because I havent tried any recent distros. The last time I used linux was like 5 years ago. I downloaded a couple of Live CDs but neither work on my computer :/

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back