Why not 100Mbps?

Z

ZAnwar

On the network, why do I (and my brother) only get 10Mbps, why not 100Mbps for the internet?

Does it really affect the download/surf speed?

Originally posted by ZAnwar
On the network, why do I (and my brother) only get 10Mbps, why not 100Mbps for the internet?

Does it really affect the download/surf speed?

that is the theoretical peak :)

the network has to support the speed... not just the hardware/cables...

just because you have hardware that is 100mbps does not mean the upload/download speeds will match it :)

actual rates v/s theoretical will never really be equal :)

I am betting that your DSL or cable is really only 1.5Mbps. Most cable/DSL routers only have a 10Mbps port on them because you will never use that much. If you are running peer to peer or even through a router at 100/full then you should be able to peak at 100 send and recieve at the same time. I am guessing if you have 2 PCs hooked up to the same modem then you are using a router or switch. By default Windows is autodetect for speed/duplex. Verify that your router/hub/switch is 100/full. If it isn't then you will not be able to run 100/full.

1.5Mbps Internet connection = 150kbps downloads
10Mbps Network connection = 1mb - some kbps = 800kbps downloads/uploads (thats what i get with my network at top speed on 10mbps network)

so 800kbps - 150kbps = 650kbps of free bandwith :). I dont think this will affect your internet connection :p

Just like mine.. 800kbps - 60kbps (ADSL) = 740kbps of free bandwith :D

Hope this helps alittle if any

Sincerly Alex:cool:

most dsl and cable router and modem manufacturers use the cheaper 10 meg networking chips and not 100meg as it would be a waste as the connection out the other side to INTERNET is usually only 1/10th that speed anyway (1.5 or less):confused:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back