Why not 100Mbps?

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by ZAnwar, May 8, 2003.

1. ZAnwar

ZAnwar Guest

On the network, why do I (and my brother) only get 10Mbps, why not 100Mbps for the internet?

Does it really affect the download/surf speed?

2. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

that is the theoretical peak :)

the network has to support the speed... not just the hardware/cables...

just because you have hardware that is 100mbps does not mean the upload/download speeds will match it :)

actual rates v/s theoretical will never really be equal :)

3. ZAnwar

ZAnwar Guest

ok, thanks Sazar :)

4. dai

dai OSNN Junior Addict

adsl pegs out at 10

5. Un4gIvEn1

Un4gIvEn1 Moderator

I am betting that your DSL or cable is really only 1.5Mbps. Most cable/DSL routers only have a 10Mbps port on them because you will never use that much. If you are running peer to peer or even through a router at 100/full then you should be able to peak at 100 send and recieve at the same time. I am guessing if you have 2 PCs hooked up to the same modem then you are using a router or switch. By default Windows is autodetect for speed/duplex. Verify that your router/hub/switch is 100/full. If it isn't then you will not be able to run 100/full.

6. Alex_is_Axel

Alex_is_Axel .:: FTPAlex ::.

1.5Mbps Internet connection = 150kbps downloads
    10Mbps Network connection = 1mb - some kbps = 800kbps downloads/uploads (thats what i get with my network at top speed on 10mbps network)

so 800kbps - 150kbps = 650kbps of free bandwith :). I dont think this will affect your internet connection :p

Just like mine.. 800kbps - 60kbps (ADSL) = 740kbps of free bandwith :D

Hope this helps alittle if any

Sincerly Alex:cool:

7. most dsl and cable router and modem manufacturers use the cheaper 10 meg networking chips and not 100meg as it would be a waste as the connection out the other side to INTERNET is usually only 1/10th that speed anyway (1.5 or less):confused: