why does Xp moves so slow

sandu

OSNN One Post Wonder
Why does Windows Xp moves so slow after 1 or 2 weeks after installing?
Every time i install XP, for few days the OS is warking great, after few days you just can see haw is getting slower and slower.When i use antivirus program to block any unrequested packges it seems to work better for few weeks

I use Xp/2002 SP1, all security updates made at time, good antivirus, microsoft antispireware

Is there any advise you can give me? How can i make my Xp run well for longer peiod without firewall program?

Do you have your AV set up for "realtime" protection? That will slow you down a little.

If you dont have very much RAM having AV and M$(that virus again :p) Can kill your system, it brings up the old safety/performence problem. Try using safer conduct while on the web( USE FIREFOX) and get ride of the antispyware and just disable the AV when you are playing games or whatever you are doing when you notice its slow

Slow after 1-2 weeks? Something really must be wrong...

1. Install decent firewall, antivirus and antispyware software. Keep it up-to-date always - this is crucial. Run the spyware scanners often.
2. Defrag the drive after you install or uninstall software, especially applications that take up a lot of disk space.
3. Don't install junk. I can't stress this enough. This is the single most common problem I've seen on so many people's machines. They end up installing everything under the sun, sometimes not even knowing what it is, and never use it again.
4. Make sure your drive isn't close to being full. The OS will slow down quite a bit if there isn't much free space on the drive. See point 3 or get a larger drive, if necessary.

You really shouldn't be having such problems if you take care of your system. I've had XP Pro installed on my notebook for well over a year and a half, and it's still running perfectly.

I also forgot to ask...what are the specs of the machine it's running on?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back