why does my hd "rev"?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by apu95, Oct 5, 2002.

1. apu95

apu95 Caffeine-->Code Converter

i know that the pc is supposed to make a humming sound, but my hd makes this unusual "revving" sound. like when you do it to a car, but its at random...sometimes its really loud and other times its really low....but it keeps sounding! the hd works just fine but the sound its extremely irritating.

any1 know whats up?

thx, Apu

2. JJB6486

JJB6486 Retired Mod Political User

1) Maybe its a power management thing, slows down to conserve energy

2) If not, backup all your files and replace the drive as soon as possible. Failure is imminent.

JJB

3. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

you sure it's not your cdrom drive?

4. sojourn

sojourn Guest

my cdrom drive used to rev up i thought it was quite cool lol until it broke.. so umm watch out. lol sorry

5. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

lol.. same here

6. Nick M

Nick M Moderator

My CD ROM drive used to rev for about a year. It scared me. Then one time, it began to rev, and wouldn't stop. Dude being backing those files, I don't think it has much to live, your HDD

7. Check the MAIN hd wire, or the belt, if its not correctly positioned the drive will vibrate and "rev" violently, i only just realised this myself.

check the "HARDWARE NOISE POST".

8. XP Abuser

XP Abuser Guest

if your hdd supports S.M.A.R.T. get a smart monitor thatll show you if you got any physical defects and if it does replace it cuz when it goes its gonna go at the worst time possible