why does my hd "rev"?

apu95

Caffeine-->Code Converter
i know that the pc is supposed to make a humming sound, but my hd makes this unusual "revving" sound. like when you do it to a car, but its at random...sometimes its really loud and other times its really low....but it keeps sounding! the hd works just fine but the sound its extremely irritating.

any1 know whats up?

thx, Apu

1) Maybe its a power management thing, slows down to conserve energy

2) If not, backup all your files and replace the drive as soon as possible. Failure is imminent.

JJB

my cdrom drive used to rev up i thought it was quite cool lol until it broke.. so umm watch out. lol sorry

My CD ROM drive used to rev for about a year. It scared me. Then one time, it began to rev, and wouldn't stop. Dude being backing those files, I don't think it has much to live, your HDD

Check the MAIN hd wire, or the belt, if its not correctly positioned the drive will vibrate and "rev" violently, i only just realised this myself.

check the "HARDWARE NOISE POST".

if your hdd supports S.M.A.R.T. get a smart monitor thatll show you if you got any physical defects and if it does replace it cuz when it goes its gonna go at the worst time possible

Members online

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back